Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this week (2020-11-23 - 2020-11-30)?

I'm having a bit of work vacation this week, since I didn't take any vacation this fall.

But I am almost closing in on the 1000th note in my collection. On to 2 K! :smile:

Comments

• This week I'm continuing my processing of Quintessential Dzogchen: Confusion Dawns as Wisdom _by Tulku Urgyen; by refactoring the notes and clarifying my ideas, this project has grown into 40 _depth 0 _notes and touches 65 _depth 1 notes, and I have 20 remaining in my inbox. It seems the more I work on this, the more I have to do. I've been on this for 3 weeks now.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @henrikenggaard said:
    I'm having a bit of work vacation this week, since I didn't take any vacation this fall.

But I am almost closing in on the 1000th note in my collection. On to 2 K! :smile:

Dang! I am looking forward to your experiences when you hit the complexity walls.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:

@henrikenggaard said:

Dang! I am looking forward to your experiences when you hit the complexity walls.

Haha! It is definitely going to be interesting. At this 1 K milestone, all I can say is that this approach -- compared to my previous attempts at taking notes -- has definitely been the least fragile. Within a year I'll be done with my PhD and I expect the thesis writing to the most complex challenge yet.

• I'm taking a brief "slow down" from my ZK to work on a personal and family timeline. I usually do that about this time of year - try to capture important events in the lives of family members on a multi-person timeline.

I used to just put it in a spreadsheet; now I use a program called Aeon Timeline. I started this about 20 years ago when my kids were in their early to late teens, and it's proven quite useful.

I've also started building in timelines several generations back (parents and grandparents), so it's become an extended family history timeline and not just a personal one. Our first great-grand-child was born this past year; I guess that's a significant milestone :wink:

• More image preview experiments, and a lot of research processing about the ins-and-outs.
    • Most notes apart from that from the past 2 days of this week were about Linux server setups, and I anticipate to work on these even more.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Apart from growing vegetables (my main job) I'm thinking quite a bit about knowledge work and zettelkasten techniques at the moment – will probably write two articles about it in the near future which might be published here if @ctietze and @Sascha are interested. One about a distinction between three different general approaches to knowledge work and one about an alternative categorisation of notes in a zettelkasten (compared to the "idea notes and structure notes" paradigm).

• @Sascha said: Dang! I am looking forward to your experiences when you hit the complexity walls.

What do you consider to be the complexity walls?

• @Vinho said:
    Apart from growing vegetables (my main job) I'm thinking quite a bit about knowledge work and zettelkasten techniques at the moment – will probably write two articles about it in the near future which might be published here if @ctietze and @Sascha are interested. One about a distinction between three different general approaches to knowledge work and one about an alternative categorisation of notes in a zettelkasten (compared to the "idea notes and structure notes" paradigm).

A big yes! (I am confident that @ctietze thinks the same)

@Vinho said:

@Sascha said: Dang! I am looking forward to your experiences when you hit the complexity walls.

What do you consider to be the complexity walls?

There are several ways to define complexity walls. I think the behavioral and phenomenological approach is the most appropriate (a theoretical approach is much harder to make actionable): A complexity wall presents itself with a strong incentive to change some of your work flows.

One particular complexity wall was the stressor that gave rise to the Structure Notes, for example. People will react differently since we have varying temperaments. Some will react more anxious because of perceived loss of control, FOMO etc. Others don't care and just plow their way through.

I have a draft for a short article I am hesitating to publish named The Evernote Effect. One will trust a certain path only to be victim to a brutal wake up call: System bloat and severely decreased usability as a result. It is possible to miss those walls and act inappropriately until you have a great mess at your hands.

This is the reason I restructured the method some time ago to handle theoretically infinite notes. Complexity hits us with unknown unknowns.

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha: Thanks for the explanation. I'm at about 1200 zettels so far and don't feel like having reached a complexity wall yet, but good to be aware of the concept :)

• I want to grow vegetables...

Papers are coming due for school, yet it's a quiet week for work, so I'm spending digging into my own inner garden and culling weeds.

• @Vinho said:
    @Sascha: Thanks for the explanation. I'm at about 1200 zettels so far and don't feel like having reached a complexity wall yet, but good to be aware of the concept :)

Hopefully, you did a good setup. Complexity walls should lose their horror and leave you with just enjoyment.

I am a Zettler

• It was very late, last night, and what I wanted to post here went in the wrong discussion.
    Thanks to System for having fixed that for me.

So, this is what I wanted to post here because it's my current ZK-writing experiment:
    https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/comment/9111

Is there anybody else appreciating collective writing groups?
    (I've dreamt about collective zettelkastening...)

• @Massimo_Curatella said:
    Is there anybody else appreciating collective writing groups?
    (I've dreamt about collective zettelkastening...)

There is something brewing in this direction..

I am a Zettler

• @Sascha said:

Is it going to be printed?

• @Massimo_Curatella said:

@Sascha said:

Is it going to be printed?

Yes! I thought about group calls and various formulars of collective inputs. But you gave me just a better vision: homing pigeons.

I am a Zettler

• I am sorry but my Personal Creative Mission doesn't allow me that.
    I can only communicate with smoke signals.

• This week flew by! Looking forward to the next "what are you working on" to get my head back in the game!

• @jeannelking lol, you can of course create a new discussion. Week starts Monday the title is wrong. :sweat_smile:

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• @jeannelking said:
    This week flew by! Looking forward to the next "what are you working on" to get my head back in the game!

Feel free to open threads on your work in the "Your Current Projects" category as you wish.

I am a Zettler