Is the ZK for writing or thinking?
Obviously, the answer is "whatever you want," but let's move past that obvious point. I see this disagreement permeating discussions on several threads without any direct engagement, and no apparent interest in even attempting to reach a consensus. I am not hoping to reach consensus or to convince anyone else, but I haven't made up my mind on it, and it seems central to determining which trade-offs people use in making other decisions. Discussion suggests that people who use Luhmann IDs use the ZK for thinking, not writing, while those advocating structure notes use it for writing.
Someone previously said that this issue was discussed extensively a while ago. It's very hard to search, so please point me to those threads if possible.
I'll add a poll to see if we can get info from the many lurkers out there. For this poll:
- "Thinking" means you use the ZK for thinking, writing notes, connecting notes in a structure (with IDs, tags, and/or links), but NOT doing things aimed at producing a written draft, such as outlining a draft or writing a draft
- "Writing" means you use the ZK for everything mentioned in "thinking" AND ALSO for doing activities aimed at producing a written first draft of an essay/article/book, such as outlining a draft or writing text intended for a draft
- "Luhmann IDs" means you give new notes Luhmann IDs, regardless of whether you use other IDs or not
- "Other IDs" means you don't give new notes Luhmann IDs, regardless of how you ID notes otherwise
Original/old definition for context:
- "Thinking" includes making links and writing notes, but not creating structured outlines or drafts of essays
- "Writing" includes all of the above plus organizing ideas into outline structures and/or creating preliminary first drafts
- Luhmann IDs are self-explanatory
- "Other IDs" are any other type of unique ID not based on thematic content of the note, such as date/time IDs
- What do you use your Zettelkasten for?7 votes
- Thinking, Luhmann IDs  0.00%
- Thinking, Other IDs28.57%
- Writing, Luhmann IDs14.29%
- Writing, Other IDs  0.00%
- I haven't used the Zettelkasten long enough to know42.86%
- None of the above answers match my usage14.29%
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!