Zettelkasten Forum

How to get started?

This discussion was created from comments split from: A Tale of Complexity – Structural Layers in Note Taking.

Comments

• I have spent hours studying your site and other sites. Your site is very helpful.
    I am willing to put in the time to learning new writing systems (wiki or whatever) or a new software program in setting up a zettelkasten, but I would really appreciate some advice:
    1. I want the ultimate flexibility to implement everything you are suggesting. I don't want to be boxed in.
    2. I don't want to be stuck with a software program that may not offer support next year or where I may be forced to subscribe or where I could lose all my note. That is, I want something super safe.
    4. I don't use macs.
    5. With that, where should I start? Any recommendations?

• Ultimate flexibility and future-proofing likely means making each note a separate plain-text file, so database systems are out. Implementing note-to-note links using Markdown still leaves several options. Zettlr and VS Code are 2 options. I would also like to know of more Markdown options along these lines.

• Hi Craig,

don't just post what you think where you think it. Do it in a proper thread that is dedicated on that topic. Thanks.

I am a Zettler