Zettelkasten Forum

So the Solar System has a Fast Superhighway 👀🚀

Scientists found routes using arches of chaos that can lead to much faster space travel: 🔗.

Thoughts? Learned anything interesting enough to record into your zettelkasten?

Comments

• @jellis said:
    Scientists found routes using arches of chaos that can lead to much faster space travel: 🔗.

Thoughts? Learned anything interesting enough to record into your zettelkasten?

Cool; sounds very sic-fi-ish.

• Fake News?

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• edited December 2020

@zk_1000 We shouldn't carelessly throw that phrase around with at least some argumentative backup. At least if we want to exercise thinking intead of gut-reacting. What makes you think that's the case?

That's the superficial stuff we can check as internet warriors.

So what's your angle? Is the press release an April fool's joke? Is the journal not reputable?

Here's my take:

The article itself ends with a rather sad trombone: this isn't a new phenomenon, and the paper apparently (I didn't read the middle part yet) focuses on the application to large celestial bodies. The the OP link's claim for a new highway is false, because it's not new?

It should come at no surprise that Jupiter can induce large-scale transport on decadal time scales, as space missions have been specifically designed for Jupiter-assisted transport, with the flybys of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 being cardinal examples. That gravity assists can be enabled by manifolds is also well known to astrodynamicists (6, 7); yet, their widespread influence on natural celestial bodies has been largely undervalued and unexplored.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• This paper helps me to discover many things I never know about.
    They use numerical method, i.e. fast Lyapunov indicator, to analyze
    the chaotic system.

And I start to learn about fast Lyapunov indicator.

The fast Lyapunov indicator (FLI) is a dynamical quantity used to
    detect chaos. It was proposed by Froeschle et al. froeschle97.

Before I am reading this paper, what I know about the trajectory
    calculation is based on the law of gravitation.

Feynman feynman2011feynman described the law of gravitation as:

It is that every object in the universe attracts every other object
    with a force which for any two bodies is proportional to the mass of
    each and varies inversely as the square of the distance between them.

Using this law and some experimental observations, one can set up a
    set of initial conditions and boundary conditions to solve the
    trajectory of the interest.

Todorovic's paper leads me to learn some basic information about
    calculating in interplanetary traveling. This reminds me the event
    when the Perseverance was launched to Mars.

The website gives me an intuition way to think way where the
    perseverance is. But I notice the trajectory of perseverance is not in
    the same plane as Earth, Mars, Jupiter. What's the principle to design
    such a trajectory?

Now, I am learning Lambert's problem, a fascinating problem in
    astrodynamics.

• edited December 2020

@ctietze i said that half heartedly :blush: I am actually unsure if i can resist in feeding my Zettelkasten with it.

Flybys are as old as space travel itself. Here is a list of flybys, with the earliest done in 1961: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_planetary_flybys

But an object at the size of Jupiter is not something that spontaneously manifest itself in front of you. The hypothesis is to use this well understood method on space manifolds at quantum level. The study includes unstable manifolds as well. The discussion on the end proposes this work to have a potential practical application on dynamic systems at the scale of asteroid populations, etc.

but a highway for fast transportation for space travel? Japp, that's fake news :grin:

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915