Zettelkasten Forum

How to make Archive work on my iPad Pro??

So far I have been using Archive on my laptop and am loving it. Has anyone successfully set up Archive on their iPad? As a technical Luddite, I could use help with this. Thank you!

Comments

• From my experience of using ALL of the major writing Apps available for iOS, I've had the very best experience with 1Wrtiter as an iOS complement to TA. Some may prefer Drafts, which I use as a starting point for most of my iOS writing, but I find 1Writer to the most similar to TA due to it's simplicity and power.

• @jeannelking said:
    So far I have been using Archive on my laptop and am loving it. Has anyone successfully set up Archive on their iPad? As a technical Luddite, I could use help with this. Thank you!

The simple answer is that The Archive only works on your Mac computer, not on a mobile device running iOS. If you want something similar on your iPad, you will have to use one of the good note-taking apps. I like iA Writer; as you see from @jefe, others like 1Writer. There are probably others that could be adapted as well.

• I second @jefe suggestion.

Although almost any text file editor in IOS working against your folder of notes will work, 1Writer has a fabulous tag cloud function and is very robust.

• My way is to save my Zettelkasten-notes in an iCloud Folder. On my Mac I use The Archive, and if I feel the need to quickly work on notes / create new notes while on the go, I use a simple markdown editor like Pretext on my .md-files.

• @jobed77 said:
    My way is to save my Zettelkasten-notes in an iCloud Folder. On my Mac I use The Archive, and if I feel the need to quickly work on notes / create new notes while on the go, I use a simple markdown editor like Pretext on my .md-files.

After many iterations with IOS apps, I settled on Pretext. It's simple and works perfectly for adding new notes, appending, touching up, and tidying existing notes. By working via the Files app, it feels like an Open in External editor menu option. It is a great example of an app that does one thing very well.

All the other apps are great as well, but none are the perfect fit, in my opinion. The more I used Pretext, the more I realize it was a great fit for me as a lightweight markdown edit for my notes while using an IOS device. I think of it as having a quick lunch or snack with my notes and then waiting for the main course later in the day back at my desk.

It is free and has a 99 cent in-app purchase for a Tweak Pack that gives you some additional simple options for the theme and app icon.

Great little refreshing app!

Funny how many times I used the word great. I must really like this app. B)

• I use iA Writer, saves notes as plain text files that can be accessed on the Mac and iPad

• @Splattack said:
    I use iA Writer, saves notes as plain text files that can be accessed on the Mac and iPad

Also allows you to see the file as plain text or in markdown mode, or both. I can access the ZK folder on my Dropbox account and see all my note/zettel files. It has lots of other shortcuts that make it super-easy to use. It's my go-to for taking short notes on my iPhone, as well. I love this app.

• I haven't used the other apps, so I don't know how they compare, but 1Writer has blazing fast search. I believe that is one of the reasons why Brett Terpstra uses the app -- and he knows a lot about iOS text editors. See https://brettterpstra.com/ios-text-editors/.