Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] [BUG] Image link "broken" by some characters

edited February 2021 in Resolved Issues

Hi all!

As discussed elsewhere on this forum, the ability to include images in our notes is a great feature.

I found that space or any of !@#$%?&*?-=+ in Alt text will break "clickability" (Is that a word?). Image will still show up in Marked (or any other Markdown rendering engine), but the link isn't underlined nor clickable.

So both ![my image](myFile.png) and ![my_image](myFile.png) will work from a Markdown standpoint, but only the second will produce a clickable link The Archive.

Two things worth noting here:

1. Removing the leading ! will fix this (but consequently replace the rendered image buy a link that goes nowhere).
  2. The underscore _ will not break the link while the dash - will.

In the meantime, I resort to one or the other to retain quick access to the image, but was wondering if there are plans to fixing this (presuming this is recognized as a bug).

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• Good catch, will be addressed in the upcoming editor overhaul.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @maclm A minor comment - I have a lot of filenames that contain spaces. When I create a link to one such file in a Zettel, I replace each space in the filename with %20. The link then becomes clickable and goes to the correct file.

• @GeoEng51 you are correct. File names have to be either URL safe (exempt of non supported characters) or URL encoded (like space becoming %20).

That said, my bug report isn't about the file names, but about the alt text that goes between the square brackets.

Out of curiosity, are you able to reproduce that bug on your system?

• @maclm said:

Out of curiosity, are you able to reproduce that bug on your system?

Yes, I can reproduce the problem, exactly as you describe it, on my system as well.

• Clickability of image paths is improved in v1.6.0.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/