Zettelkasten Forum

Sharing saved searches

Hi!

I run The Archive on multiple laptops and would like to make saved searches available everywhere. I've found a plist file buried in the Library that seems to have the saved searches, but I'm unsure whether I can simply copy that without mucking something up. Is there a recommended way?

I also have a meta-question: is there a way to do more advanced searching in these forums, particularly narrowing the search to a category? I feel like this saved search question probably has been asked, but I failed to turn up targeted posts.

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• You should be able to copy the .plist file over. Make sure that you have write access to the resulting file, though. If that didn't work, just delete it again; the app should start with a new one if none is found on disk.

We're considering to store saved search setting in a configuration file inside the note folder so they sync with the notes.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @LVB said:
    Hi!

I run The Archive on multiple laptops and would like to make saved searches available everywhere. I've found a plist file buried in the Library that seems to have the saved searches, but I'm unsure whether I can simply copy that without mucking something up. Is there a recommended way?

I've done this by copying the /Users/will/Library/Application Support/TheArchive/saved_searches.plist to my zettelkasten directory with no problems. Then when I'm on my other Macs, I copy it out locally. I guess I could make a Keyboard Maestro macro to do this, but I salivate waiting for the update to automate this.

I also have a meta-question: is there a way to do more advanced searching in these forums, significantly narrowing the search to a category? I feel like this saved search question probably has been asked, but I failed to turn up targeted posts.

Browser tools to the rescue. I, too, have found the search box on the forums to be a little less than helpful. So I have resorted to using the browser's ability to do its search by site. With this, you can use all the Boolean operators in formulating a search. Very powerful.

I formated a search and typed it in the location field of my browser site:forum.zettelkasten.de "saved search" and the first result of the search answered this question, sort of? :wink:

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com