Zettelkasten Forum

What are you working on this week? (2020-08-23 to 2020-08-29)

@ctietze As per your request.... :)

I am reading two books, 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction, and one article. The non-fiction book is "Lifespan - why we age - and why we don't have to" by David Sinclair and Matthew Laplante. The article is "The power of wholehearted living" by Mackay Christensen.

As I go through the non-fiction material, I'm taking rough notes and then will create some final notes in my ZK. I don't do this in a comprehensive way, but just to capture what is of interest. I've always liked reading about health (just finished "East to live" by Joel Fuhrman), so I'd like to see what take Sinclair and Laplante have on the topic.

Comments

• What I'm working on this week?

Classes started Monday. I'm not so harried yet. Will be soon.

Only tangentially related to my ZK, I am working in the wood shop each day developing my box making and design skills. This week I’m making another tray to hold 3X5 cards in, no not a physical zettelkasten, but my Minimalist Journaling Cards.

Full Card Box

This pictures the new box as it is glued up.

My reading this week is Environmental and Nature Writing: A Writer's Guide and Anthology by Sean Prentiss & Joe Wilkins (2016). This is a textbook for class but I’m really enjoying it and am about ⅓ into it. Tons of potential ideas about writing and the environment to capture and integrate.

I’m also reading Rutger Bregman’s Humankind: A Hopeful History (2020). This is a much different and far more uplifting view of humans than how we are portrayed in “Guns, Germs and Steel”. Jared Diamond got a lot of history wrong! In Humankind, Bregman shows how the ideas that humans are inherently evil, selfish, and greedy and need outside powers to keep them in line are wrong and propped up by Christianity, democracy, capitalism, the current education system and the criminal justice system. A close look at our history show us to be by nature egalitarian and cooperative. How have we been so mislead? I’m about ½ way in and it is providing some counterarguments and evidence for some of my prior thinking. Good stuff. Highly recommend for history readers, and if you counter-intuitive authors like Yuval Noah Harari, Susan Cain, Daniel Pink.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Guns, Germs and Steel indeed is not a very pleasant read. Some economic factors and large-scale developments and their timeframes are interesting to see; but the tone sure doesn't improve the reader's mood :) Hans Rosling's "Factfulness" is much more uplifting, too, in case one is interested in more recent (~50--100 years) developments.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    Guns, Germs and Steel indeed is not a very pleasant read. Some economic factors and large-scale developments and their timeframes are interesting to see; but the tone sure doesn't improve the reader's mood :) Hans Rosling's "Factfulness" is much more uplifting, too, in case one is interested in more recent (~50--100 years) developments.

I've had to put GG&S on the back burner, as I managed to spill water all over my copy yesterday.
    So making a start on The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan instead...

• My classes start up on Monday as well. (Solidarity, @Will!) This will be my first semester with my ZK, so I'm working on getting KM macros in place to streamline processes. Hope to take on my tags and streamline those as well...if I can just get that macro to work. Also need to install macros to embed images into my cards, as well as hyperlinks to the internets.

All this is happening while my work is seriously ramping up. I'm being considered to chair our company's innovation culture initiative, so hello ZK for that one! I'm also designing and facilitating - or helping others design and co-facilitate - virtual collaboration sessions to take on complex problems with their teams. (Typically using MURAL, Teams, and Zoom or Bluejeans). Hello again, ZK, for best practices and insights!

I'm reading The Palgrave Handbook of Creativity at Work and An Introduction to Consulting Psychology, with Edward de Bono's How To Be More Interesting waiting in the wings. I'm also revisiting my books on Buddhism because the concept of Emptiness keeps bubbling up as I do my reading and I want to dig a little deeper into that and see what's wanting to emerge.

Let's see...what else? My partner and I are building elf houses for our front yard, so that's keeping me crafty, creating, and imagining!