Zettelkasten Forum

Ciao da Roma

Hi everyone
(sorry but for now I use Google translate to write)
I'm Massimiliano and I'm a doctoral student in Dogmatic Theology in Rome. I am working on my dissertation with a lot of difficulty, because I have the same problems that I have read in some forum posts: I have found that my brain works top-down but this has led me to have a lot of difficulties with notes, ideas, categories, etc. I discovered the ZK method just a week ago and am trying to learn. I downloaded Obsidian and am learning how to use it. I have also read Ahrens' text and find it very interesting: I have found that it is better to switch to bottom-up mode.
I realized that I keep thinking first about the categories or chapters of the dissertation to organize the notes.
I did not understand if Luhmann used numbers that corresponded to certain themes, words, interests, etc .; or just an algebraic sequence; or both.
In this regard I have a question about creating indexes on notes:
After reading a text, underlining the most important things and reporting them on a card, can I use numbers to create more detailed macro-areas and themes within them? Or is it better to use only tags and have a separate index? Or together? For example:

Macro-area:
1 = Theology

fields:
1.1 = History of theology
1.2 = Epistemology
1.3 = Important terms

or

or

1Teologia

1.1 History of Theology

1.2Epistemologia

In your opinion, which model works best
Waiting for tips and advice!

Thank you,
Massimiliano

P.S. I will definitely bother you again !!!

Comments

• Scusate ho sbagliato con l'uso degli #:

1Teologia

1.1 History of Theology

1.2Epistemologia

• Are you doing this on paper or in an app?

• Sorry, I'm not practical yet: I wrote with markdown and I wrongly used hashtag.

(#) 1
    (#) 1.1
    (#) 1.2

(#) 1Theology
    (#) 1.1 History of Theology
    (#) 1.2 Epistemology

• What you might want to play with is giving each note a unique ID. The Archive app does this for you. Something like 202008071023.

That way every note has a unique ID. Then you can create a structure note for all the notes about Theology, with a link to each note from there.

The problem with 1, 1.2, 1.3 is that when you search for "1.2" you'll also get 11.2, 91.2, 141.2.

1.2 isn't unique enough. But 202008071023 is unique. Plus it's a timestamp of when the note was created, which can sometimes be helpful.

• Thank you for your answer!
    I will try to do as you suggest.