Zettelkasten Forum

Working with media

edited July 2020 in The Archive

I don't foresee myself going all-in on lots of media files with my Zettelkasten, since the whole point is text and writing, but what's a good workflow for using the media feature in The Archive?

I've got a quick little Mac macro for inserting the code for media, but I'm not sure the best way to utilize this that doesn't take up more time than it's worth? Drag the file to my media folder, then remember the filename for the media code?

Not really interested in an Alfred workflow or some other piece of software, just curious how the media function was designed to work.

Comments

• Specifically, if I want to attach a photo from my phone, or a PDF, or maybe link to an audio file for a song idea (I'm a songwriter). I'd love my Zettelkasten to handle that so I don't have to rely on another app for these specific things if possible.

• @joegilder said:
    I don't foresee myself going all-in on lots of media files with my Zettelkasten, since the whole point is text and writing, but what's a good workflow for using the media feature in The Archive?

Good question; I second it!

However, I'm even more rudimentary - what is the "media feature"? I didn't know there was a way to insert media, as I thought that TA files are just plain text files. Or is what you are inserting a reference to a media file?

• edited July 2020

You and me are on the same level. 😂

This code will insert a clickable link that will select the file in the media folder within the Archive folder

![]()

• @GeoEng51 said:

However, I'm even more rudimentary - what is the "media feature"? I didn't know there was a way to insert media, as I thought that TA files are just plain text files. Or is what you are inserting a reference to a media file?

Kudos to @GeoEng51 for asking the question many probably share but are too shy to ask.

Started ZK 4.2018. "The path is at your feet, see? Now carry on."

• I use this feature to reference media files such as jpeg scans of diagrams in an article or book that the note is on. Once inline image preview is implemented (see the roadmap for The Archive: https://zettelkasten.de/the-archive/roadmap/), they will be viewable in the note. Currently, the link opens the media folder (or any other folder that is designated as the media folder).

Here is an example of Sacha utilizing the media feature in The Archive:

• Maaaan these old videos sure look ugly :)

With the overhaul of the text editor, we'll soon be adding a couple more convenient attachment features that go beyond the mere "capture webcam picture", including image previews

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    With the overhaul of the text editor, we'll soon be adding a couple more convenient attachment features that go beyond the mere "capture webcam picture", including image previews

@ctietze I don't want to annoy you with this question at all... but can you already say when the image preview feature will be ready?

thank you. and again: sorry... don't want to pester

• @ctietze said:

Very excited to hear this! I think this is the feature that I'm missing most, at present. It would be very useful to be able to embed figures and not have to rely on Marked to view those figures while I'm working on my notes.

• No, sorry folks. -- I myself am spread thin between the Zettelkasten Course preparation, freelance work, and The Archive in autumn, so things might take a bit longer than expected; my magic coding fairy helper is finishing up an overhaul of the editor and will then look into tasks like this, but I doubt it'll be before October before we can experiment with a change like that.

So there you have it: at least not in the upcoming 2 months :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/