Zettelkasten Forum

Hello and so nice to be here! Needing some help though...

Hello everyone. My name is Maxine and I'm from Ontario, Canada and I'm currently living in Italy teaching English in high schools and privately. I also recently just enrolled in a B.A. program to get my degree. I'm 54 years old, a mother and grandmother and a life-long learner. I started down the Zettlekasten rabbit hole a few months ago to establish a workflow for my academic research and writing. At first I started with Evernote, then quickly moved to Notion then to Zettlr then to RoamResearch, always looking to simplify my process so that I can finally be free to just focus on the learning, reading, understanding and writing that I plan to do for the next 4-6 years. I immediately signed up for a paid version and am now trying to learn the ropes so I can start migrating my notes over from Roam asap. But being a visual person when it comes to learning technology I need a video or something to help me get started, where can I find a video on YouTube where The Archive is demonstrated with a basic overview taking one through the steps to intermediate?
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!
Cheers,
Maxine

Comments

• Hello and welcome Maxine,

I think what you are looking for might be the Zettelkasten youtube channel.
    I do not use the archive myself (I have a computer science background and stuck with sublime text) but it looks like there are some videos introducing the archive in there.
    Besides that, you will most likely get all the help that you need by just asking questions in this forum.

Hope this helps :)

• Thanks a lot, m0hawk. I'll start there for now.
    Cheers!
    :)

• @benessere said:
    where can I find a video on YouTube where The Archive is demonstrated with a basic overview taking one through the steps to intermediate?

@m0hawk's recommendation to start with the official Zettelkasten YouTube is a good one. People new to the app might find it helpful to know that 'The Archive' is a continuation of sorts from an app called "Notational Velocity" where the killer feature was the search bar. It brought searching and note creation together in a wonderful paradigm shift. Here's an old video that shows the basics. The Archive works this exact way. Once you get that, you can jump into the Zettelkasten videos and hopefully understand what's happening.

Start with these 3 ("Hello party-peoples"):

1. First look at the Archive App and Introduction
    2. Why did we choose the nv-Core?
    3. Book workflow, introduction to The Archive, & saved searches (This video is so intense, no shirts were allowed)

After that, you're probably ready to jump into the deep abyss of the 7-part "Zettelkasten Live" video series. I've watched these videos multiple times. It's weird, but I just love them. It's also a great way to get to know our hosts - Sasha and Christian.

Good luck on your journey!

• Welcome aboard, @benessere!

The links to our videos you now already know, they're a great start to see everything in action.

@Eiff said:
    After that, you're probably ready to jump into the deep abyss of the 7-part "Zettelkasten Live" video series. I've watched these videos multiple times. It's weird, but I just love them.

Happy to hear you love the result! Hard to tell for a quirky format like this, so thanks!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Much appreciated Eiff, I'm literally hungry for more information on how to get a jump start! Each time I make a move from one bloated app to the other I am more convinced of the power of simplicity. I'll get started with the 7-part series.

Thanks Chirstian, and Sasha for a wonderfully simple product!