Zettelkasten Forum

DEVONthink as a Zettelkasten Note Archive

imageDEVONthink as a Zettelkasten Note Archive

The Zettelkasten note-taking method has made book writing and writing scientific papers easy for hundreds of years already.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I think it’s important to note that DEVONthink is on iPhone and iPad too, not just Mac.

Also, DEVONthink apparently natively supports multimarkdown and has since 2016.

I’ve been looking for any information on a method of using a Zettelkasten on Mac and iOS.

It’s a wonder I looked at this article. You might want to update it.

Thanks!

Fred

• The latest version of DEVONthink (DT3) has improved a lot of the features that the review notes as lacking.

I wrote a comment a few days ago highlighting some of the ways DT3 can be used. I'm only just starting to use a Zettelkasten method, so I don't feel comfortable giving a definitive review, but it may be of interest if you're looking to see how it could fit in to your workflow:

https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/comment/4530#Comment_4530

HTH.

• edited March 2020

I've been experimenting in DEVONthink Pro, using markdown notes. You can copy the "item link" from another card/note and do Edit/Insert Item Link and boom you have a clickable link, yes, even in a markdown note.

So far, so good.

I'm just getting started with Zettelkasten and integrating with DEVONthink (been using DEVONthink for years now for projects) so we will see how it goes.

Already I think card creation is best done on a Mac (not iPad) as copy/paste doesn't seem to work in DEVONthink on iPad.

Also, I just created a TextExpander template for cards, and the Mac version has more features (not many) than the iOS version, so it is slightly better there too.

• @fredonline would you suggest not purchasing devonthink for ipad?