Zettelkasten Forum

The Archive 1.4.6 (149) doesn't start

edited January 2020 in The Archive

I updated The Archive to version 1.4.6 (149), and it doesn't start now. It gets tuck on the following window.

The previous version was working just fine. I am running macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but it doesn't work.

Comments

• Oh dang! That never happened before. I think it'd be best if you email me some details: macOS version and where you store your notes (Dropbox, Google Drive, ...)

I have a quick fix for you in a second.

But first, please make a copy or ZIP of the note directory so we can figure out the root cause of the problem later.

The quick fix is to rename your current note directory, or move it away. The Archive will boot with a message indicating that the directory wasn't found and prompt for a new location.

From there, you have a couple of options: rely on me figuring this out and wait for a fix, and/or experiment to find the trouble-maker on your own.

• is it the location of the notes directory? Try to move your notes elsewhere and open the folder again. If it still doesn't work, the original location probably wasn't a problem.
    • is it a single note that causes trouble? Pick a new folder, then move 50% of your notes into it. Does the app launch? If so, quit, move 50% of the now remaining notes in there. And then another, until the app stops launching. Then you can undo the move in Finder and look more closely at the selection of possible culprits.

I do suspect there's something wrong with file access rights in there, but in a weird way, so that the app doesn't e.g. just skip the file as usual and gets stuck.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Christian,

Thank you for the detailed response. I solved the issue with the following steps:

1. Uninstalled The Archive completely using AppCleaner.
    2. Upgraded my MacOS to Sierra (10.12.6).
    3. Downloaded and installed The Archive.

It works fine now. Thank you for the help.