Zettelkasten Forum

Link to external file

I'm a new member here -- thank you for this great program. I was looking for something like this for a long time, and glad to have found it!
(Back story: I had a lot of materials -- important bits of quotes, etc. -- stored once in a software in a proprietary format. It went out of business and I could not even export the notes in a meaningful way. I won't make that mistake again.)

This question may be very simple, but I could not find it in the forum.

I read a lot of papers, and when I have notes about them, I like to link back to the paper itself. In other words, I would like to have a hyperlink, in the Zettel, that would open the relevant pdf that's stored on my computer. Is there any way to do that? I tried a little bit just to copy the path name, or copy it as a markdown link, but no success so far.

Comments

• Hi @zvt!

I raised this topic in this discussion, which might be of interest.

You might also want to look at cdguit's setup described here.

• Thank you @Vinho, especially the first discussion is really helpful. I think I'll just go with the 'file:///xxxx' way -- it's a bit of a hassle, but not too much.
    Thanks again!

• @zvt: It‘s a lot easier if you start naming your files without spaces. That’s what’s i do now.

• Yes, that's a good idea. I have a lot (ca. 1400?) of stuff that had been autofiled (and named) by Bibdesk.... But of course I'm not going to have zettels for all of them, and at least for the new ones I can set it so that there is no space in the title.