Zettelkasten Forum

Best The Archive alternative for Windows?

Dear Zettelkasten community,

I have just stumbled upon the Zettelkasten method recently. I was ready to start creating Zettels by using the Software of this website but I noticed that the Archive is only available for Mac :( . What do you think is the best alternative to the Archive for Windows?

Best regards
Mano

Comments

• Try MindForger (Windows / Linux).
    https://www.mindforger.com/
    Written in C++.
    OpenSource Markdown-Editor and -IDE, but it's more than that. The program supports tags, links, has an implemented knowledge graph and has a "thinking" modus, in which the programs shows which notes might be connected.
    The gui is a bit different from other programs - therefore you should read the documentation and listen to the videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/MindForgerChannel/videos?disable_polymer=1).
    A Notebook in MindForger is an Markdown-Document. A Note is a part of a Markdown-Document (beginning with a # markdown headline).
    I'm working with the program for a few days now (it was formely only for linux, but I need it in both "worlds") and I think it is very interesting.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
    Maria

Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu...

• Hi everybody,

I have the very same issue as Mano as I use Windows OS. The MindForger seems nice, but I am looking for something more intuitive in its use. The most important thing is that the program should be organized as a mind map. The perfect program is Tinderbox, only for Mac OS, as not only you can organize your thoughts by creating interlinked zettels, but you can visualize your thinking through mind maps. Then, you can press on a specific part of a mind map and you enter a new realm, a blank sheet for new mind map to dig deeper into the topic. Do any of you know about such a program for Windows?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Pato

• I use Zettlr personally. Fully plain text based like The Archive, markdown support, very active and responsive development, and the developer uses zettelkasten himself so the app is purpose designed for ZK.
    And supports Windows, Mac and Linux.

@msel said:
    Try MindForger (Windows / Linux).
    https://www.mindforger.com/
    Written in C++.
    OpenSource Markdown-Editor and -IDE, but it's more than that. The program supports tags, links, has an implemented knowledge graph and has a "thinking" modus, in which the programs shows which notes might be connected.
    The gui is a bit different from other programs - therefore you should read the documentation and listen to the videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/MindForgerChannel/videos?disable_polymer=1).
    A Notebook in MindForger is an Markdown-Document. A Note is a part of a Markdown-Document (beginning with a # markdown headline).
    I'm working with the program for a few days now (it was formely only for linux, but I need it in both "worlds") and I think it is very interesting.

Would you mind explaining in more details your ZK setup in mindforger? Maybe provide images too.
    I am most interested in the Markdown-Document & note distinction. Do you keep all notes in a single file? If not then when do you create a new file, or do you create a new file for every note?

@Pato said:
    Hi everybody,

I have the very same issue as Mano as I use Windows OS. The MindForger seems nice, but I am looking for something more intuitive in its use. The most important thing is that the program should be organized as a mind map. The perfect program is Tinderbox, only for Mac OS, as not only you can organize your thoughts by creating interlinked zettels, but you can visualize your thinking through mind maps. Then, you can press on a specific part of a mind map and you enter a new realm, a blank sheet for new mind map to dig deeper into the topic. Do any of you know about such a program for Windows?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Pato

Trilium notes probably isn't quite what you want, but you might find it interesting. It does allow you to visualise your note relationships.

• +1 for Zettlr

• In general I would say, just use Markdown files. This will keep your Zettelkasten open for further developments.

• The closest two I've found are QOwnNotes and vim-zettel. Sad to say, but there aren't many options for Windows.