Zettelkasten Forum

Help! I've fallen down the theme-ing rabbit hole

Four questions really.
1. Is there somewhere documentation on the theme attributes? What is available to be themed and syntax?
2. What is a "referenceDefinition"?
3. Why won't my entry for "horizontalRule" change color, I copied the lines from another theme where the color was different?
4. What is wrong with this - Considering putting links in a codeBlock so I can specify a monospaced font (to achieve Sasha's TOC style) and my editor default font San Fransico a variable-spaced font.

Will Simpson
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• As a fellow themeoholic, I can feel your pain. It is only after you have spent 90 minutes trying to find just the right shade of blue that you know, you have hit rock bottom. :wink:

1. Is there somewhere documentation on the theme attributes? What is available to be themed and syntax?

Yes, fortunately there is:
    https://github.com/Zettelkasten-Method/The-Archive-Themes/blob/master/Syntax.md

1. What is a "referenceDefinition"?

It's "unused at the moment", according to the link above.

1. Why won't my entry for "horizontalRule" change color, I copied the lines from another theme where the color was different?

If I remember correctly, the last time that I updated the PrettyFunctional themes, the color setting for horizontalRule was also not honored. I vaguely remember first thinking that it did work, because with another theme, the horizontal lines did change color, but then I realized that it was because of something else, something like four stars being interpreted as bold and bold having a separate color in that theme.

It just occurred to me to search the forums for "horizontalRule", which made me find an old bug report that I had filed about this issue in the private The Archive Beta subforum and apparently completely forgotten about since. The bug is still open, so there is a good chance that my explanation above is still correct and horizontalRule is not used in any of the themes.

1. What is wrong with this - Considering putting links in a codeBlock so I can specify a monospaced font (to achieve Sasha's TOC style) and my editor default font San Fransico a variable-spaced font.

Not only is there nothing wrong with this, you are in fact combining the best of two worlds with this approach: a very nice and pleasant-to-read variable width font (bonus points for picking San Francisco!) for most of your text, and a monospaced font for anything that requires spatial layouting like tables, TOCs, programming code, etc. I have written more extensively about this topic in the PrettyFunctional (Regular) thread, if you are interested. :smile:

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• Glad someone with the knowledge and wisdom of @Basil responded to @Will . Good stuff!

• Thanks so much for the schooling on themes. I too have spent inordinate amounts of time choosing the right shade of blue. We're card-carrying members of TA (themeoholics anonymous). The PrettyFunctional themes were my starting point. Great examples. @Basil, thanks.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com