Zettelkasten Forum

Sample Note - open to suggestion for improvements

Thought I'd share a screenshot of one of my more recent notes. My intent is to solistit suggestions. I try to write the note for my furture self. I have just under 90 notes and they have evolved to this. This is a note from my digestion of Niklas Luhmann's article titled Learning How to Read found at https://luhmann.surge.sh/learning-how-to-read.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Looks good. That's how I do mine too. I made a script to extract highlights from scientific papers (PDF). The summary quote is my own wording of the text.

• Thanks for sharing.
    Questions
    1. The UID for the sample note, is this purely a time stamp, to the .1 second or is the as sub-note?
    2. Your Citekey, is this a link to another note or is the bibliography kept in another application?
    3. Do you note other more mundane stuff other than scientific research?

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    Thanks for sharing.
    Questions
    1. The UID for the sample note, is this purely a time stamp, to the .1 second or is the as sub-note?
    2. Your Citekey, is this a link to another note or is the bibliography kept in another application?
    3. Do you note other more mundane stuff other than scientific research?

Hi. The '.1' is an additional feature I added to my script since, the notes are created in a sub-millisecond time frame. So I needed a way to differentiate the notes. When I make notes by hand, not with my PDF script, I don't have the dot.

My citekey is from my reference manager, Papers3. That is automatic. It is kept there. It's convenient that the citekey has a (#) in it, since I can use that to also collect all the notes from a given article using the features of the Sublime Zettel package.

I put all kinds of things in my ZK. Not just science. Random lists and stuff I keep in a separate nvALT note archive, but the boundaries of my ZK are very broad. There is little I don't put in there now. I've included a 'structure' note too.

• @achamess: would you be willing to share your script? I'm also a Papers user, and it would be very helpful to be able to extract references to my notes easily.

• (I split this discussion at this point, so you can find @achamess's and @msteffens's PDF extractor scripts here: https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/406/extract-comments-from-pdf-via-script )

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited April 2021

This is very nice! Thank you for posting your Zettelkasten notes here. I've shared the discussions with my newsletter readers and actually add a note of it to my Zettelkasten, too. 🙏🏼