Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] Escape from Quick Entry to save the note

edited April 2019 in Resolved Issues

At bit of context

Hi all,

I finally got my head around why I can't get myself to use the Quick Entry feature: it's "too risky" (for me) and counter-intuitive from The Archive's behavior.

What do I mean by that?

I'll start with the last one:

• when writing in TA, hit ESC and you're at the omnibar with the warmth of confidence that your work as been "saved" to the last edited note.
  • on the other hand, when writing in the Quick Entry pop-up, hitting ESC will clear out everything and leave you out there in the cold with you fresh idea needed to be written again.

So that's (IMHO) counter-intuitive regarding how the actual app works. Put differently, the app is mouse-less, the Quick Entry pop-up isn't: you have to click [Create] or Tab-tab-tab to it (which ins't quick...).

The first one then becomes pretty obvious: if I hit ESC (which I always do from muscle memory) I lose everything and have to start over again (oh shoot, I did it again!).

The actual request

So, from that context, here is my feature request: hitting ESC would save the Quick Entry to a new note named according to the "File Naming Convention" set in preferences.

What do you think @ctietze @sfast ?

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• @maclm said:
    So that's (IMHO) counter-intuitive regarding how the actual app works. Put differently, the app is mouse-less, the Quick Entry pop-up isn't: you have to click [Create] or Tab-tab-tab to it (which ins't quick...).

I think you bring up a really good point about Escape meaning different things, but you don't have to use the mouse here: ⌘↩ will save the quick-entry note.

• edited November 2018

@galen said:
    ⌘↩ will save the quick-entry note.

I wasn't aware of this shortcut. Thanks @galen for pointing it out.

• @maclm I added a label to indicate the shortcut's existence. Hope that does the job for now!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

This discussion has been closed.