Zettelkasten Forum

The Archive and Sublime-zk with the same folder

Is it possible to use The Arhive and Sublime-zk side by side, accessing the same plaintext notes in the same folder?

Comments

• Hi thoresson. I have the same problem. As I need to use Windows at Office, I have one Dropbox folder designed for sublime and the same folder for the archive. For any reason, it doesn´t work. The archive is not able to update the notes I have generated with sublime... At the beginning it seemed to work, but not now... I trying to find a solution, but perhaps I missing anything...

• In theory, accessing the notes with different clients on different machines is not an issue at all. In practice, there currently is a bug in The Archive that causes the currently viewed note in most circumstances to not be updated if it got changed externally. So if you come back to your Mac and resume editing a note that was open the whole time, you might lose the changes you made to it in the meantime using a different client/machine.

This bug was fixed in one or two of the experimental builds not too long ago, but then it regressed again. @ctietze said he wanted to prioritize this issue once he finished the improvements to the theme engine, so he might be working on it as we speak. :smile:

In the meantime, if you want to use The Archive on two Macs or in conjunction with another plain text notes client, you need to remember to unselect the currently viewed note (e.g., by hitting Esc) whenever return to The Archive on your Mac.

If you like The Archive's "PrettyFunctional (Basic)" theme, consider upgrading to the "PrettyFunctional (Regular)" theme.

• I didn’t mean using both applications at the same time but switching between them. But I think that the obvious answer is “yes, since it’s all about plain text” - so no surprise that my intention with the question wasn’t mistaken. :)

• Hi, I have just found the problem I had.
    For any reason, Sublime text doesn´t name the file with .txt extension wich I use for my folder. The archive didn´t see the files without .txt extension, nor 1writer on iOs.
    With a rule, Hazel will take a view for me on the new files, and rename the files with the .txt extension in the case they don´t have it. B)

• The Archive doesn't do anything fancy with the folder it observes. When there are new files in it with a supported file extension, you'll see them in the app, that's it. There are issues with some sync solutions like Box.net that I have to iron-out, though, but Dropbox works.

@Basil is right about concurrent access to a single file from different apps. But I'm working on that, and v1.0.8 (out since ... now) might solve the issue.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/