Zettelkasten Forum

What are your zettelkasting plans for 14 August - 20 August 2022?

I'm wondering about the trajectory of my zettelkasting. Am I just wandering around? Do I have a coherent path? I've been thinking about my ZK, whether it supports my goals, and if I'm feeding it appropriately. Maybe this is something I shouldn't worry about. Does this resonate with you?

What are my feelings about my zettelkasting?
1. It is not the magic bullet that makes me remember everything I read.
2. It is fun as it fits my personal quirks.
3. I feel like I'm starting to get good at it.
4. It is something to do providing fodder for python programming and Keyboard Maestro.
5. It is a record of me.
6. It is fun to swim in.

Please open up and share with the community what you've been working on and your plans for your zettelkasting this week.

This past week found me doing:

• A deep dive into structured python programming. I'm using my 'Rakusu Ring spreadsheet' as a foil for this project.
  • I received the course syllabus for 'ENGL 463 Geographies of Nonfiction', which has a hybrid writing and literature structure. I've started pouring the foundation in my ZK for this 20-week project: nine books, a dozen short stories, and a half dozen writing assignments. I started reading a couple of weeks ago, but now I must pour gas on the fire and read a lot.
  • Refactored my Keyboard Maestro note templates. I simplified them and made them more broadly applicable.

My current plans for this coming week:

• Class starts on the 23rd, and I have seven more books to read in preparation. Lots of reading ahead with little time for zettelkasting.
    This week I'll try and finish reading - Alta California by Nick Neely - 460-page Travel Journal along with life's other projects: Boxing Training plus the care and feeding of the wife (Mary) and the puppy (Zivon).

• When I'm procrastinating class work/reading, I'll be reading:
    Literate Programming by Donald Knuth
    The Book Of Form And Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki - Fiction

Here are a few of the titles and one-sentence summaries of zettel I created last week.

I'm excited about "Literate Programming," Donald Knuth's thesis on this programming paradigm has arrived at the library on interlibrary loan. I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

• Handle Text Through Regular Expressions [20220813]

• Literary Taxonomy of Sycamores [20220813]
    - A dissected example of writing using science, history, and taxonomy using a tree as a foil.

• B-Alta California [20220811]
    - by Nick Neely

• G-Establishing Firm Connections Between Ideas [20220811]
    - Slowing down to create links focuses attention on thinking of connections. Connections are the most valuable.

• Literate Programming [20220809]
    - The interweaving of literature writing and coding. The writing expounds on the code, but not necessarily.

• A-The Value of Grey Thinking [20220809]
    - Everything lies on a spectrum - Farnam Street

• Friending Bias [20220809]
    - Even if low-income folks do encounter high-income folks, there's a tendency for them not to become friends. The researchers call this "friending bias."

• Luhmann's Keyword Registry [20220807]
    - Structure notes are like Luhmann's keyword registry. Start blogging ideas from structure notes.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Hi @Will! It's been a long time and I'm just now resurfacing on this site. (School and work have kept me busy busy busy, and now I've elected to focus more on school full time so here I am!)

This week, my ZK focus is to renew my Archive license and get my directory link set up again now that my computer was scrubbed (I got to keep the computer when I left my job, but I could not for the life of me find my Archive registration email from 2020! Oh well...).

I also intend to start getting my brain ready for the first of two major literature reviews I'll be doing in the next two semesters. (Exciting!)

No new Zettels, but that just means my ZK has a good appetite for all the stuff I'll be feeding it very soon!

Hope your semester goes well,
    Jeannel

• Hello @jeannelking! Welcome back. I'm curious about the subject of your "first of two major literature reviews."

I start a literature review class at the University of Idaho on Tuesday. Ambiguously titled Geographies of Nonfiction ENGL463.

From the syllabus

This class will consider the tradition of (mostly) English-language travel/place writing (highlighting authors from the United States, the U.K., and India, in particular), focusing on twentieth-century and contemporary writers and the question of how to articulate the experience of “knowing otherness”—other landscapes, other cultures, and even the self as other.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Ooh! @Will , these lit reviews are for my dissertation. The first is an exploration of creativity and spirituality, knitting them together into a creato-spiritual dynamic construct. The second (in the spring) will focus on personal change agency and organizational/systems transformation. The dissertation will explore the intersectionality of creato-spiritual dynamics and change agency.

• Fascinating, @jeannelking. I'd think there would be tons of material in this area. Are you looking at contemporary literature or historical stuff? Only a few contemporary authors might be considered "creato-spiritual dynamic." A mid-century example would be John Cage. My exposure to historical literature is limited, and I can't think of any old books in this category.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• John Cage! <3
    @Will, I am required to focus on peer-reviewed literature (research) within the last five years for this lit review. However, classic and historical writings may also be included...they just cannot be the majority of what I present. I'm looking forward to giving the research literature a HEALTHY peppering of alternate literature to expand perspectives, for sure!