Zettelkasten Forum

Zettelkästen mantainance

Hi everyone! I’ve been using zettelkästen on and off for 1/2 years. The problem is I have both physical and digital notes, which are not integrated.
Also I think I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time since I only noted excerpts basically.
I was wondering how to fix it.
Should I divide literature and permanent notes?
Thank you for your time

Comments

• Also I think I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time since I only noted excerpts basically.
    I was wondering how to fix it.
    Should I divide literature and permanent notes?

I believe @Sascha has something to say about excerpts in particular -- in general, this sounds like you sort of point out the flaw already and seem to know what has to be done: put in the work to process your excerpts further :)

Doesn't have to be all of them. The boy scout rule applies. Next time you need something, might as well put in ten more minutes to extract what you need from the stuff that you have and store it as a separate note.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited June 2021

Thank you for your tip.
    I was wondering about another thing that slows down my workflow.
    I’m attending university where I study law. Usually my study method is reading the textbook, highlighting it, making schemes/diagrams and repeating out loud. Every now and then I tried to use flashcards.
    The thing is that I find it difficult to take notes from the textbook. The questions that arise in my mind are: should I take notes for every chapter? Should I use them to prepare for the exam? Etc…
    EDIT
    My exams are all oral.

• @Logodaedalus said:
    I was wondering about another thing that slows down my workflow.

There's already a few posts on the forum on how other people create notes. Here's a quick list of what I do:

• read a book, attend a (for now) webinar, listen to a podcast;
    • take notes using the Cornell method;
    • create a single or multiple notes in my zettelkasten from the Cornell note, in my own words. I usually start with a single note, adding anything that peak my interest. I'll also link the note to other notes already in the zettelkasten;
    • let the notes proof for a bit and split out/refactor as needed;
    • repeat for anything that interest me.

The quick summary is easy, just read a few posts by @Will and pick out what you think might work for you. If it doesn't work, just change it up. There's no right or wrong, just what works for you.