Zettelkasten Forum

[feature request] Sort order saved with "Saved Search"

I find that some projects that are organized around a saved search, present better in the oldest first sort and some are more practical in the newest first sort. It would be nice to be able to save a sort order with the search criteria. This must be hard as Evernote, for one example, does not do this either.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Interesting idea!

Well, The Archive stores a pre-sorted list of your notes in memory. That way, it only has to filter for matches, but not sort the matches afterwards, which would be pretty slow as you type. Making some Saved Searches trigger a re-sorting means they initially feel slower. Also, when would the app know how to get back to regular sorting? I cannot imagine why Evernote doesn't offer this after all these years 🤔

It's a technical problem that can be solved, but it's something Sascha and I will need to talk about first to see if and how it fits our plan.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Seconded. If I'm sorting notes from a personal project, I'd want newest notes first, for a built-in Noguchi filing system. If I'm looking for new insights, I'd want oldest notes first, so I can connect any neglected notes.