Zettelkasten Forum

Using @tag instead of #tag?

The Archive is a great application. You've done terrific work.

I have one feature request, however. Could you please give users the option of using the @ sign to mark a tag, rather than the # sign? Because of the # sign, tags rendered in a markdown reader (like Marked 2) in title font. And that looks a bit odd, at least to me.

Thanks very much. And please keep up the great work on your excellent application.

Comments

• @Tom Thanks! While we talk about your request, can you start pestering your editor developers to consider adhering to the stricter CommonMark specs that say that a space character is needed after the # to denote a heading? The rendition of The Archive is, in that regard, more accurate. But it's hard to say what accurate means when there's no true agreed-upon standard. It's just that treating #This Is a Headline as a headline is questionable at best, deduced from most Markdown-to-HTML converters I looked at out there.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Thank you, Christian. I understand what you are saying. I will take your advice. In the meantime, could you recommend a markdown preview app (like Marked 2) that respects the convention of having a space character after the # to denote a heading? I can't find any (e.g., Byword, Marked 2) that follows that convention. Again, I appreciate your time on this. Tom

• @Tom: If you use Marked 2 then you are working with a mac, right!?
    Then you can use iA Writer, Typora (which is my favorite) or the The Archive-competitor Zettlr (@Christian: sorry for this tip(s), but i'am working in the Windows world and so I had to find an alternative to The Archive ;) )
    In Typora you can choose if you want to use the strict or the loose "interpretation" of markdown.
    (And sorry for my "English for beginners").

• Yes, I'm on a Mac. And thanks so much for your helpful recommendations.

• @Tom: I don't understand your problem with Marked2.

If I write this in my note

[[201906262056]] #example

#example

# InghamE [FACT] What soil life plants need`

I get this as the output from Marked2:

Is that not what you want?

• That is exactly what I want, Vinho. I wonder why it doesn’t work with mine. Perhaps you have selected (or deselected) something in preferences that I missed.

• @Tom: I think I found out what it is. I'm not using the default processor in Marked 2, but a custom processor (can be defined in Preferences --> Advanced, see also here). I use Pandoc, inspired by @cdguit's setup described in this discussion.

• This looks very cool, @Vinho. Thanks. I'll try it out.