Zettelkasten Forum

Is Bear for macOS a Zettelkasten Archive Fit?

edited August 30 in Blog

imageIs Bear for macOS a Zettelkasten Archive Fit?

The Zettelkasten note-taking method has made book writing and writing scientific papers easy for hundreds of years already.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Just a quick note here to say that the Spark email client has just released a number of integrations with other software, and Bear is among them, so you can easily make a new note from an email. This is honestly tempting me to try Bear again, but it's not worth the "not actually editable plain text" problem that seems to be integral to Bear.

• Is this a regular use-case of yous, creating notes from email?

Even when I compose email, I have to re-write the text to fit my archive; with incoming mail, it's even worse because a huge blockquote hardly helps in the long run. Verbatim email import never did the trick for me (successfully).

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    Is this a regular use-case of yous, creating notes from email?

It is a regular use case for me, but that's because I am, as I mentioned over on the Writing tag, using my zettel for a combination of knowledge work and project management. Saving an email is useful to me as a way of putting it into my "inbox" if I need to do something with it.

Even when I compose email, I have to re-write the text to fit my archive; with incoming mail, it's even worse because a huge blockquote hardly helps in the long run. Verbatim email import never did the trick for me (successfully).

"Do something with" an email is often things like writing a reply which then becomes a place where I have worked out some ideas, and I want to refer to it later. I recognize that I am operating outside the norm of what a zettel is generally used for, due to the nature of my work. I am in an experimental area here, and I'm not convinced that my use cases are things you should be developing to support :smiley:

• @sfast we truly have the best readers and beta testers here -- who else gets to know about unsupported use cases by a user and then is told not to implement it to keep the app pure? :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • http://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze said:
    @sfast we truly have the best readers and beta testers here -- who else gets to know about unsupported use cases by a user and then is told not to implement it to keep the app pure? :)

Awww you're sweet. I would argue that there's a pretty specific type of person who is interested enough in this sort of thing. We're probably all interesting nerds, some of whom have had to support users before as well :smiley: