Zettelkasten Forum

Feature Request: automatic completion when adding link to zettel

edited February 14 in The Archive

I will be typing along, and realize I want to link to an extant zettel. I have to go to the search field, search, copy the link for the relevant target, clear the search field, find the note I was working on originally, find my place in it, and paste the link. This is a lot of cognitive overhead and always takes me out of the flow.

Nearly every time I use The Archive I miss this feature from @rene 's work. In sublime-zk or sublimeless, I can type [[ while writing and get a pop-up list of all zetteln, which narrows as I type. Then, when I hit return, the correct one is inserted.

The [[ trigger is not necessary, a hotkey to bring up an auto-narrowing list would also work. In emacs with zetteldeft I can do the same thing with a hotkey, and that works fine as well.

Honestly, this is the number one thing that makes me minimize The Archive and open another app.

Comments

• I completely agree with @mediapathic that this feature would be great, and I would like to see a design solution in which, when one types a character like [ or #, and continues to write a letter directly after this, a list like the following pops up.

• Keyboard Maestro to the rescue!

The Archive Macros

Four macros. The first is triggered by [[ then it does a type ahead search of your notes. Then it places the UID within [[ ]]. The other three are for duplicating the same funtionality with tags. Refresh Tag Varible keeps tract of tags. Refresh Tag Cloud creates a "Tag Cloud" note and finally, Insert Tag is activated by typing the # key with the same type ahead search.

Thanks for the inspiration to create these. I'm finding them very helpful already.
    I'm really an amateur at this Keyboard Maestro but I'm enjoying it so far.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will said:
    Keyboard Maestro to the rescue!

Oh no.
    I mean, uh, thank you!

• @mediapathic said:

@Will said:
    Keyboard Maestro to the rescue!

Oh no.
    I mean, uh, thank you!

Thanks, I consider Keyboard Maestro in this use case a crutch till @ctietze's further developments.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com