Zettelkasten Forum

Mindscapes: Thinking Environments in Your Way of Living • Zettelkasten Method

imageMindscapes: Thinking Environments in Your Way of Living • Zettelkasten Method

Habitats of the Mind: Actively shape the thinking environments of your life. Your mind will thank you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• To prepare my novels and scenarii, I take my earbuds, some inspiring music and, indeed, I have my better ideas while walking into the woods. Running takes all of my concentration for now, but I feel a lot more clarity into my mind after that.

Did you know the "sens of awe"? The "sens of awe" seems even to help with MDD and inspire positive emotions

• "The Walk as a Thinking Environment" is the first section in this post. Coincidentally, yesterday I discovered the book Philosophers' Walks (Routledge, 2021) by Canadian philosopher Bruce Baugh. Baugh chose a set of philosophers and writers, and he "walked in their footsteps, in cities, fields, and forests, on mountain trails and level plains, in the hope of gaining some insight into the connection between their walking and their thinking. This book is the record of those philosophers' walks and the thoughts they inspired."

Baugh acknowledges other writers on walking in the first chapter: "I've been guided on my way by some outstanding contemporary writers on walking: Rebecca Solnit, Lauren Elkin, Mary Soderstrom, Joseph Amato, David Le Breton, Frédéric Gros, Jean-Louis Hue, Phil Smith, Dan Rubinstein, Robert Macfarlane, Nan Shepherd, Karen Till, Alyson Hallett, Jo Vergunst, Tim Ingold, and Michel de Certeau. Voices from the past—Dorothy Wordsworth, Robert Louis Stevenson, William Hazlitt, Henry David Thoreau, Charles Baudelaire, Walter Benjamin, Guy Debord—kept me company along the way. You will meet them all en route."

This is not a book recommendation, just a chance temporal coincidence.

• I strongly believe context becomes more and more relevant in our current, computerized, increasingly virtual environments, as it sends a clear signal to the brain what we are currently doing. Change wallpapers, lighting, quit irrelevant apps when switching tasks if nothing else. Many fiction writers recommend using different media when creating than from editing or doing business. Neil Gaiman writes longhand and edits on the computer, Dean Wesley Smith uses a separate laptop for the writing, I've had tremendous success using writer's decks (e-ink typewriters such as the Freewrite).

"A writer should write what he has to say and not speak it." - Ernest Hemingway

PKM: Bear + DEVONthink, tasks: OmniFocus, production: Scrivener / Ableton Live.

• @Andy, I know you qualified your recommendation, but looking at the synopsis, it looks right up my alley. Thank you again. Two contemporary writers not mentioned by Baugh, whom I will whole-heartedly recommend, are Geoff Nicholson, particularly his 2023 book, "Walking On Thin Air: A Life’s Journey in 99 Steps," and "Silence in the Age of Noise" by Erling Kagge.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com