Zettelkasten Forum

New to The Archive - how do I create note identifiers?

I've just installed The Archive and am learning to use it. I'm a long-time NV / NVAlt user, so I feel at home in the app right away. But I have one question: how do I create identifiers? Can The Archive create them automatically for me when I make a new note or do I have to manually add one (perhaps via text expansion) at the start of each new note?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Today, there is no automated way to create a new note. There are a series of shortcuts that soon become muscle memory. ⌃⌥⌘P creates a note with a UID to give it a name ⌘R; once it has a name, TAB puts you in the editor ready to capture brilliant ideas. Here's a gif showing the process. These shortcuts are on the Note menu.

Or you could bypass the rigamarole and use Keyboard Maestro or Alfred to automate this.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited September 5

@Will said:
    Today, there is no automated way to create a new note. There are a series of shortcuts that soon become muscle memory. ⌃⌥⌘P creates a note with a UID to give it a name ⌘R; once it has a name, TAB puts you in the editor ready to capture brilliant ideas. Here's a gif showing the process. These shortcuts are on the Note menu.

Or you could bypass the rigamarole and use Keyboard Maestro or Alfred to automate this.

Thanks for your swift reply. For some reason, ⌃⌥⌘P did nothing at all, but after experimenting I found that ⌘N creates a new note with a UID and leaves the cursor in the name field so I can give it a name. If I type directly in the Omni Bar without using ⌘N, the note gets no UID but I also found that ⌘U (= Edit -> generate Zettel ID) creates a UID wherever the cursor is.

Post edited by wherahiko on
  • Ops. For some reason, I totally forgot I changed the keyboard shortcut years ago. Yes it should be ⌘N instead of ⌃⌥⌘P

When typing in the Omni Bar, you have to hit return to make a new note; otherwise, what you type will perform a search.

Welcome to the forums.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• edited September 5

Thanks, Will! (For some reason, my original reply has disappeared. Anyway, your response is nice and clear for anyone who finds this later.) Thank you for the warm welcome to the forums.

⌘N = new note with ID
    ⌘U (= Edit -> generate Zettel ID) generates an ID wherever the cursor is.

• Glad you found everything, and welcome :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/