Zettelkasten Forum

Share with us what is happening in your ZK this week. September 3, 2024

Swimming with Ideas

This is yet another opportunity to share what you are working on with your friends here on the forum. Add to this discussion by telling us about your zettelkasten journey. Share with us what you're learning. Sharing helps us clarify our goals and visualize our thinking. And sometimes, a conversation sparks a magical moment where we can dive into an idea worth exploring. I'd love to hear more from you. 🫵🏼

Here is my report on why I'm here and my current ZK work themes and ideas:

• How can I use AI as a devil's advocate when editing my writing? First, I will write and then ask for a critique as opposed to asking AI to interpret the text I'm studying. I will tell AI to critique my assessment of the text, taking the feedback as advice. Use AI to improve my assessment capabilities.

• In Learning How to Read, Niklas Luhmann spills his affection and dreams for the computer age, which he didn't live to participate in fully, but I'm lucky enough to be living his dream.

Books I'm reading or read this week:

• Adler, Mortimer Jerome and Van Doren, Charles Lincoln. How to read a book. 2014. [[202407311603]] BookShare
  • Fadiman, Anne. Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader. Unabridged, Recorded Books, 1999. Audiobook Everand
  • Blundell, William E. The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on the Wall Street Journal Guide. New American Library, 1988. #JAMM425 BookShare [[202408212021]]
  • Marcille, Frankie Ann. Through the Magnifying Glass. 2023. #YAL_research BookShare [[202408212030]]
  • McNicoll, S. A different kind of Beauty. Fitzhenry & Whiteside. 2004 #YAL_research Phsyical.

Zettelkasting Soundtrack:

★★★★★

The "My rolling twelve-day zettel production" is produced by a script for attachment to my daily journaling template. I do my journaling in Bear to keep personal journaling separate from my knowledge work.

Let me know if you would like to see, discuss, or critique any of these notes.

My Twelve-day zettel production
–––––
## Zettelkasten Statistics
★★★★★
1369682 Total word count
20556 Total link count
4083 Total zettel count
★★★★★

12-day trend: 11/14 ⬇︎
100-day trend: 125/121 ⬆︎
1.93 notes/day since day zero (20181114).
12 zettels in my proofing oven.
44 notes were modified in the past 12 days.

–––––

• The Barbell Method of Reading 20240829
    Second processing of this article.

• A-Learning How to Read 20240829
    Effective reading and note-taking involve adapting different reading styles to various texts and personal engagement.

• Reading with an Action Item Marginalia Workflow 20240828
    Reading for the recognition of specific schemas.

• C-JAMM425 August 29, 2024 20240827
    Seminar notes.

• AI as Devil's Advocate and Mentor 20240826
    AI, as a mentor, should challenge, provoke, and inspire—not just spit out ideas.

• The Aesthetics of AI Impact on Creativity 20240824
    The genuine expression discovered in interactions with AI provides a more precise and meaningful connection.

• C-JAMM425 September 03, 2024 20240822
    Seminar notes.

• Shad versus Salmon 20240822

• C-JAMM425 August 27, 2024 20240822
    Seminar notes.

• C-JAMM425 Write Right Journal 20240822
    Writing and editing tips and tricks.

I hope my contribution is helpful, and I hope someone has even better ideas.

Will Simpson
My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• edited September 5
    ---
    title: Poem2024090414 minimalistisches Zettel Gedicht
    reference-section-title: References
    ---

minimalistisches Zettel Gedicht

JFK Schmidt on Luhmann's Zettelkasten [@schmidtNiklasLuhmannCard2016, pp. 292-293]

1950s-1960s:
    Running-text taken from original source

1970s-on:
    Increasingly brief, telegraphic notes.
    The inspiration for Zettel Gedicht

Object card

Museum object cards that contextualize and elucidate an object’s significance and background can be the sole reason to attend an exhibit. Since this example of minimalistisches Zettel Gedicht is an object card, it cannot be more interesting than itself. While gesturing toward iambic pentameter, its unpoetic, utilitarian corporate flatness qualifies it as a poem under established historical norms of avant-garde, high barrier-to-entry institutionalized radicalism, exemplified by the now inactive UbuWeb archive.

SEE ALSO

[[Poem202409031257]] Cubicle of the Sublime

#minimalistiches-zettelgedicht #minimalist-zettel #minimalism #avant-garde #ubuweb

References

Schmidt, J. (2016). Niklas Luhmann‘s Card Index: Thinking Tool, Communication Partner, Publication Machine. Forgetting Machines. Knowledge Management Evolution in Early Modern Europe, 53. https://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/record/2942475

Post edited by ZettelDistraction on

GitHub. Erdős #2. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Alter ego (1st-order): Erel Dogg. Alter egos of Erel Dogg (2nd-order): Distracteur des Zettel, HueLED PacArt Lovecraft. I have no direct control over the 2nd-order alter egos. CC BY-SA 4.0.

• ---
    title: Poem2024090312 Cubicle of the Sublime
    subtitle: Notes on (Geuss 2005) and (Stapledon 1930)
    reference-section-title: References
    ---

Cubicle of the Sublime

You underestimate the foothills:
    Forget, ignore, pursue no question—yield
    To instinct: self-contained, not understood—

Hidden by cloud:
    Sheer jagged precipice, vast fields of snow.
    To stay aloft in turbulence: air pocket—

Sudden drop.

SEE ALSO

[[Memo.2a.0.21.0531]] Cheap advice, 100% off!
    [[Poem202409041409]] minimalistisches Zettelgedicht
    [[Silly2024080220]] Serene

#olaf-stapledon #last-and-first-men #raymond-geuss #mnemonic #minimalistiches-zettelgedicht

References

Geuss, R. (2005). Outside ethics. Princeton University Press.
    Stapledon, O. (2008). Last and first men. Dover Publications.

GitHub. Erdős #2. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Alter ego (1st-order): Erel Dogg. Alter egos of Erel Dogg (2nd-order): Distracteur des Zettel, HueLED PacArt Lovecraft. I have no direct control over the 2nd-order alter egos. CC BY-SA 4.0.

• edited September 6

If there was any doubt that a Zettelkasten could support "publication," Object card was "generated" from the Zettel titled minimalistisches Zettel Gedicht. Appropriation without attribution or appropriation with misattribution is not unexpected.

• edited September 6

1b1 native language acquisition is a natural and sub-conscious process.

1b1 native language acquisition is a natural and sub-conscious process. In other words, we acquired our native language without being taught by either our parents or teachers. We acquired it by "immersing" ourselves in the language environment created by our parents.

Reference

Handouts, ESL Lesson. ‘Language Acquisition vs Language Learning’. ESL Lesson Handouts, 24 Apr. 2023, https://www.esllessonhandouts.com/language-acquisition-vs-language-learning/.

• Reading one of the few books worth reading and taking notes on in my Zettelkasten: "Marx (The Routledge Philosophers)" by Jaime Edwards and Brian Leiter.