Zettelkasten Forum

How to insert photographs?

Hi all,

How would you incorporate photos into your zk?

I'd like to take 4x6 prints and incorporate them. Would you use a photo editing program to put in the reference number or would you use a sleeve?

Seems a perfect integration to me.

Comments

• Into a paper-based Zettelkasten with actual drawers, like attachments?

I would probably tend towards very small adhesive labels you can write on, and put them in the top-right/top-left corner, wherever your ID's usually are.

• Sleeves or envelopes sound like a hassle to work with during retrieval.
    • And photo editing sounds like an annoyance during creation.

Printing to a 4x6 template and cutting it out is enough work already :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Why not digitally scan the photos (or take them with a digital camera) and create a filename using whatever system integrates well with your paper ZK? Then you can reference the photos on however many zettels you so wish.

I've been taking photos for over 60 years, starting with Polaroid and Brownie cameras, graduating to several Olympus cameras, then on to various Canon models, moving up as more and more digital resolution was provided. Mix in there experience with developing film and printing photos. I have albums and drawers full of photos. As my "collection" grew, I lost control of it. I never regained control until I scanned everything that only existed on paper, combined the scanned versions with my digital photos, labelled all photos using a consistent and logical filename system, tagged all (most) photos, and used a program like NeoFinder to manage everything.

The more photos you collect, the more cumbersome managing paper prints becomes.

• @GeoEng51 said:
    Why not digitally scan the photos (or take them with a digital camera) and create a filename using whatever system integrates well with your paper ZK? Then you can reference the photos on however many zettels you so wish.

I've been taking photos for over 60 years, starting with Polaroid and Brownie cameras, graduating to several Olympus cameras, then on to various Canon models, moving up as more and more digital resolution was provided. Mix in there experience with developing film and printing photos. I have albums and drawers full of photos. As my "collection" grew, I lost control of it. I never regained control until I scanned everything that only existed on paper, combined the scanned versions with my digital photos, labelled all photos using a consistent and logical filename system, tagged all (most) photos, and used a program like NeoFinder to manage everything.

The more photos you collect, the more cumbersome managing paper prints becomes.

Great point.

I guess the camels nose is only 100 photos ?

• @ctietze said:
    Into a paper-based Zettelkasten with actual drawers, like attachments?

I would probably tend towards very small adhesive labels you can write on, and put them in the top-right/top-left corner, wherever your ID's usually are.

• Sleeves or envelopes sound like a hassle to work with during retrieval.
    • And photo editing sounds like an annoyance during creation.

Printing to a 4x6 template and cutting it out is enough work already :)

I would take various images I wanted to keep and send them to the photo counter of CVS to be printed on 4x6.

We will see, I just wanted to hear what the others might have or might not have tried.