Zettelkasten Forum

The Heist – How to Process a Practical Book Quickly • Zettelkasten Method

imageThe Heist – How to Process a Practical Book Quickly • Zettelkasten Method

Those who do not master the exploitive reading method waste a lot of time and energy. Not every book should be processed in the same way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• @Sascha This is a great post, but I think the words "fritter away" and "fritter" are not the words you were looking for; at least, in American English it means "waste time, money, or energy on trifling matters". I had to check the dictionary to see that there is an archaic meaning "divide (something) into small pieces", but I have never heard anyone use the word in that way today.

• Thank you. I took this as a critique of my reading skills and took some actionable items from this text. I intend to be helpful in sharing my zettel as I process the actionable items from this text. This is a first draft. Comments, questions, suggestions, and even snide remarks are welcome.

---
    UUID: ›[[202408280450]]
    cdate: 08-28-2024 04:50 AM
    tags: #proofing #reading-strategies #zettelkasting #marginalia
    ---

Reading with an Action Item Marginalia Workflow

Subatomic: Reading for the recognition of specific schemas.

The Lede

• Do you want to dive deeply into reading for the discovery of action items? Get ready to level up your reading skills.

Not every text should be processed in the same way.
    Originally, this referred to books, but it really should be applied to all texts.

Action Item Marginalia (AIMs)

• Why do I want to read this text? I should be reading for action items. Specific action items to search for while reading. Reading on this level is a search game. A hunt for the hidden gems.

Tasks
    Projects
    Workflows - solution paths for types of tasks and projects
    Templates - a kind of result of tasks and projects.

AIM marginalia:
    = Make it a task
    = Information
    R = Something to reflect on
    TL = A template, or “Make a template out of it”
    WF = A workflow, or “Make a workflow out of it”

Tie together the reading workflow with my intentions for reading the particular text.

If the text intrigues me and fits into a current project, I want to extract the most action items I can effectively by processing them into my Zk. This means slow and deliberate attention.

• Reading and the AIM workflow support the highlighting of my ZK pre-products.
    • The AIM Marinalia tags should be carried over to the ZK. They should be made as ideograms instead of text or combined with text for ease of searching in the ZK.

If the text is read for information or pleasure, the speed of reading can be faster and the concentration much less.

• The AIM workflow doesn't increase the depth of processing in itself; what makes the difference is taking things one step further and creating an interlinked note in my ZK.

Synthesis/Strengths/Weaknesses

I'm excited about this because this is a workflow with the power to elevated my reading skills.

See Also

• Bar Bell Reading [[201811121628]]
    • How to Read a Book [[202407311603]]

• Read along with Sascha's commentary for the purpose of discovering actionable strategies to improve reading skills.
    • Why Take Notes [[202309222005]]

• Note-taking can transform your life by deepening engagement with written words.
    • Getting Things Captured [[201901211137]]- The Art of Marginal Notes [[202407310630]]

• Marginal notes, or marginalia, are brief annotations made in the margins of texts that ultimately transform their reading session into an interactive learning experience.
    • Designing creative workflows [[201901281916]]

• 7 Zettelkasten Workflows [[202007291313]]
    • ZK Workflows [[202008222026]]

References

• Reading for Action Items
      - bear://x-callback-url/open-note?id=13B6F3F3-3525-44B5-84AC-C139D10BF5D5

• Learning How to Read

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Andy said:
    @Sascha This is a great post, but I think the words "fritter away" and "fritter" are not the words you were looking for; ...

Fixed, thank you!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• edited August 28

I need to re-read more deeply.

One "fear" I have about the idea of reading a book with an underlining project, with that purpose.

I could risk to develop the knowledge too siloed in the context of that project.

There are use cases when this is what I need in the short time, but others when this can be a missed opportunity, so I think that this could be a red light to keep in mind and to manage.

My attitude, at this moment, could be prefer extract and develop knowledge in a context-unbound way from a book.

What do you think?

• @andang76, I agree that rigidly pre-planning a book to fit just one project is risky. Staying open to new ideas is a smarter approach. However, auditioning a book with inspectional reading and considering its fit with your current projects encourages an exploratory mindset. It sharpens your focus on what projects you have and whether the book has potential. Context-unbounded reading is a crucial skill and a remedy for siloing. It uncovers unexpected nuggets in any text, from tweets to textbooks. It's one of the things that my ZK has taught me. Ideas connect in surprising ways. Time pressures interrupt context-unbounded attention. With practice, we all can master the skill of context-unbounded reading and discovering unexpected connections.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Hi,
    Would it be a hassle to ask a German-speaking member to translate "Lesen Lernen" from https://web.archive.org/web/20240731040450/https://gwb.schule.at/pluginfile.php/50728/mod_resource/content/1/Luhmann_Lesen_lernen.pdf ? I read the translated "Learning How to Read" that Christian linked to (thanks!) and found it hard to follow. I tried to translate the original via Google Translate and it seems Manfred Kuehn's translation is missing paragraphs.

• Here is the full article with the two missing paragraphs added (2nd and 4th from the end).

But, it would be difficult to "translate it better" because that is the dense way Luhmann writes.

Maybe it will be more clear after re-reading, but let us know if you have further questions on any specific sentences/paragraphs.

• @JasperMcFly said:
    Here is the full article with the two missing paragraphs added (2nd and 4th from the end).

But, it would be difficult to "translate it better" because that is the dense way Luhmann writes.

Maybe it will be more clear after re-reading, but let us know if you have further questions on any specific sentences/paragraphs.

NICE!

While the text remains challenging, now it is more intelligible. Thanks!