Zettelkasten Forum

Numbering Systems

I see a lot of different systems for numbering cards.

It seems to me that using a three- letter alphabetical code at the beginning would help organize better.

For instance LOG is Logic PHI is Philosophy.

Instead of having arbitrary numbers that have to be remembered, a three-letter code could kind of be like an airport code where it makes it really easy to remember, and of course they would be filed alphabetically and then numerically.

Why not?

Comments

• @forhowareyoudo said:
    Why not?

@forhowareyoudo Try it out after you have answered the question: Will I still be able to find what I'm looking for with this code in ten years' time? And create a kind of index to define your code numbering. That way you can remind yourself to be consistent.
    In my opinion, the correct linking of notes is much more important than a code that indicates something other than a unique identifier. You need to find the note you are referring to in all circumstances. Don't think in note order because the narrative will never be the same if you ask different questions. The most important thing in your thinking and zettelkasting is connectivity within your ideas, comments and notes, not the preordered sequence you think of in this very moment.

• Great answer thanks! And the 3 letter code was conceived for the express purpose of remembering years from now. It being easier to remember an abbreviation of a word that an abstract number.

And interesting enough I am secondarily organizing my primary points of the main top based on the standard questions people ask when first talking about the subject.

Like you say it will allow me to refer to the other questions even though much of the same date will be able to be in multiple places.

• edited August 13

Just depends what part of the "no categories to many specific categories and subcategories" spectrum you want to fall on.

If you are a concept-centric, zero categories person, then no prefixes. Just number each idea or concept as it comes, then can use #tags in your alphabetical index to group cards as they come.

But, like you, I do have a need to group notes from my work domain together, but I just use the same leading number "10/" for that domain. It is nice to be able to grab a stack of related cards on the go for review, i.e. my "philosophy stack".

It is a matter of preference of course, but I do like having all the cards in my ZK being numbered numerically with no letter prefixes.

[ insert usual caveats about too many categories here ]

• Great points!

I really like the idea of minimizing categories.

In fact in my personal/non work zk, I have a section LOG which is logic and philosophy. There will probably be lots of other categories in there that won't actually get detailed out.

I probably have five categories but some of the information could belong on multiple categories and I'm not going to stress about which one they actually belong to.

However in my zk I have quite a few more categories because it's being used as a much enhanced Rolodex to actually help me do prospecting.

So it is explicitly being used as an alphabetical ordering. But I am not numbering the basic demographic/contact information cards.

@JasperMcFly said:
    Just depends what part of the "no categories to many specific categories and subcategories" spectrum you want to fall on.

If you are a concept-centric, zero categories person, then no prefixes. Just number each idea or concept as it comes, then can use #tags in your alphabetical index to group cards as they come.

But, like you, I do have a need to group notes from my work domain together, but I just use the same leading number "10/" for that domain. It is nice to be able to grab a stack of related cards on the go for review, i.e. my "philosophy stack".

It is a matter of preference of course, but I do like having all the cards in my ZK being numbered numerically with no letter prefixes.

[ insert usual caveats about too many categories here ]

• For those who were interested in my attempt to use a 3 letter code for my categories, I have abandoned this approach.

I don't think it is a bad approach, but somehow, the codes were starting to make it hard to decide where to put cards.

I know its not a lot different, but instead of using the academic disciplines like Scott Scheper and others, I realize I have 8 main areas of interest, and nearly everything else can fit in them. My cards start in numbers from 1000-8000 to correspond to each subject.

• @forhowareyoudo said:
    For those who were interested in my attempt to use a 3 letter code for my categories, I have abandoned this approach.

I don't think it is a bad approach, but somehow, the codes were starting to make it hard to decide where to put cards.

I know its not a lot different, but instead of using the academic disciplines like Scott Scheper and others, I realize I have 8 main areas of interest, and nearly everything else can fit in them. My cards start in numbers from 1000-8000 to correspond to each subject.

Have you ever looked at the Johnny Decimal system? It is simple and totally flexible. https://johnnydecimal.com

• @GeoEng51 said:

@forhowareyoudo said:
    For those who were interested in my attempt to use a 3 letter code for my categories, I have abandoned this approach.

Have you ever looked at the Johnny Decimal system? It is simple and totally flexible. https://johnnydecimal.com

I tried to look on the website, but it had everything including the kitchen tank except for what numbers are used for what purpose.

And frankly I don't have life in me to do a scavenger hunt around somebody's website like that.

Thanks anyway good sir!

• @forhowareyoudo said:
    And frankly I don't have life in me to do a scavenger hunt around somebody's website like that.

Thanks anyway good sir!

No worries. It's not supposed to be complicated, but rather to adjust to your needs. If it doesn't do that, move on... :)

• edited September 8

@GeoEng51 said:

Thank you, @GeoEng51, for mentioning this system. The video is helpful. They say the Johnny Decimal numbers cover 90% of what 90% of people need to file their lives away.
    Permit me to wax, or rather lapse into doggerel (not AI-generated):

Doctor's prescription drugs apply to me
    Appointments, test results, insurance too.
    But passports, travel, visas--not at all.
    The Johnny Decimal is flexible
    I know--and this says more about me than it--
    The more a woman's beauty, it was floated
    The more that wanderlust affects her--but
    I've never met or seen a single--standard :trollface:

Post edited by ZettelDistraction on

GitHub. Erdős #2. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein. Alter ego: Erel Dogg (not the first). CC BY-SA 4.0.

• edited September 8

@ZettelDistraction said:
    Permit me to wax, or rather lapse into doggerel (not AI-generated):

Nicely done! B)