Zettelkasten Forum

What if I want to start an Archive entry in iOS

I see I can go to files/documents/Notes (Archive) in iOS and add text to an existing note - but is there a way to start a new Archive note in iOS?

Comments

• I could use IA Writer to create a new note in The Archive. However, many apps can create new files, and they all have different features. IA Writer has configuration options for the file name and default file location. What app launches when you choose a zettel to edit?

This shows the results on the desktop. From here, I must fix the title, add YAML, and create links, tags, and citations, but this gives me a good start.

I'm sure this appears amateurish to iOS aficionados. The top note is via my iPhone and the second is via my iPad.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thanks for your reply.

Mmm... I have my files saved in Documents, and Documents is synced. On my phone I went to 'files/documents/notes (Archive) and opened it. So I don't launch an app, but just open the notes.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 202408090923 file format was specific to Archive software? So I thought I would need to start a new file in Archive?

Also, what are the icons down the left hand pane in your illustration?

• I guess what I mean - there isn't a version of Archive for iOS, or is there?

• No, there is not a version of "The Archive" for iOS.

• @connectedentries said:
    Thanks for your reply.

Mmm... I have my files saved in Documents, and Documents is synced. On my phone I went to 'files/documents/notes (Archive) and opened it. So I don't launch an app, but just open the notes.

I'm assuming you are syncing with iCloud? On your phone, you use the "Files" app to find the file.

Then, you select the file within the "Files" app. It will not look exactly like this; I have some accessibility features turned on.

When the file opens for editing (it has to open in a file editor.) it looks something like this.

To find out what app is being used, swipe up from the bottom of the phone, and loaded apps will be revealed in a carousel. You may have to scroll left or right until you see the editor with your note. Above the snapshot of the app will be the app's name. In my case, it is IA Writer.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 202408090923 file format was specific to Archive software? So I thought I would need to start a new file in Archive?

No, The Archive offers more freedom than clean underwear and a fresh haircut. It can read and be used to edit any file you want as long as the file extension is .md or .txt. The file does not have to be started in The Archive.

There is no iOS version of The Archive. To add a new note using iOS you have to be creative and use work-a-rounds.

Also, what are the icons down the left hand pane in your illustration?

These are saved searches. They are set up in the "Settings" > "Saved Searches" panel.

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I don’t want to waste my time tinkering with my ZK; I’d rather dive into the work itself. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com