Zettelkasten Forum

How to set up the default name template for pasted images?

I would appreciate if anyone knows if there is a way to set up the template for the name of the images pasted into The Archive - at the moment it seems to be "YYYY-mm-DD HH-MM Pasted Image.png" - and I want to get rid of the spaces in the name as it then causes troubles when I try to preview my notes in 1Writer.
I could not find the option in the settings though, and also nothing in the "Hidden Preferences".
Oh, and while I am at it, for some reason I can now also not find the setting for the new file ID in The Archive! I set it to be YYYYmmDDHHMM and vividly remember how I removed the seconds, but now fail to figure out where that setting is! 😅 In other words, I am lost in the settings - which are not many - so feels like I am lost in a forest of three pines 😄
Thanks in advance to anyone kind to respond!

Comments

• edited June 27

I set it to be YYYYmmDDHHMM and vividly remember how I removed the seconds

That's the default. I don't actually recall whether we had an option in the Beta (I believe we didn't). :)

at the moment it seems to be "YYYY-mm-DD HH-MM Pasted Image.png" - and I want to get rid of the spaces in the name as it then causes troubles when I try to preview my notes in 1Writer.

The Archive can affect the file name, but there's no option, yet. A hidden preference would be simple to add; I'll get back later with news!

Using screenshots from files instead of clipboard contents

For posterity: You can tweak screenshot file names. https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/change-screenshot-filename-macos/ E.g. this sequence of terminal commands will avoid date and time in screenshot files, and call them "Banana.png" instead:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture "include-date" 0
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "Banana"
    killall SystemUIServer

Dragging these images that hover in the corner of the screen into The Archive will also omit the spaces in the filename if you drop the include-date option like above.

To revert:

defaults delete com.apple.screencapture "include-date"
    defaults delete com.apple.screencapture name
    killall SystemUIServer

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @ctietze Hi Christian!
    Thanks for the latest update to The Archive, where one of the new features advertised was the ability to update the hidden preferences - I tried them out, and while say the debugMode works, when I try to amend the one which I hoped, namely the pastedImageFilename I get the error

I tried both of the examples provided in the documentation, the

open thearchive://preference/pastedImageFilename/set/yyyyMMdd-HHmm'_image'

and just

open thearchive://preference/pastedImageFilename/set/'pasted_image'

alas none of them seems to work? Could you tell whether I am doing it wrong? Thank you!