Zettelkasten Forum

Linking to notes function

Hi, all

I posted this a while back but didn't get a response. Really sorry for posting again, but I'm still struggling with it!!! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

When I use this function, The Archive copies the title of the note and the identifier, and pastes them like this:

[[201930091959 Alexander Gordon]]

It was my understanding, from reading the forum and blog posts over the years, that best practice was NOT to include the title of the note in any link, as the title may well change in the future and rather to link using the unique ID. So, I do this, with only the ID actually linking:

[Alexander Gordon][[201930091959]]

Any thoughts? Why does The Archive include the title when generating the link?
Cheers.

Comments

• @jemscott said:
    When I use this function, The Archive copies the title of the note and the identifier, and pastes them like this:

[[201930091959 Alexander Gordon]]

It was my understanding, from reading the forum and blog posts over the years, that best practice was NOT to include the title of the note in any link, as the title may well change in the future and rather to link using the unique ID. So, I do this, with only the ID actually linking:

[Alexander Gordon][[201930091959]]

Any thoughts? Why does The Archive include the title when generating the link?

Are you referring to the "Edit...Copy Link to Note" function in the drop down menu? It does indeed work the way that you describe. But why don't you just copy the link itself and then directly paste it into your zettel. You can always add a description of the link, next to it, in normal text.

• @jemscott Thank you for your patience!

Yeah it requires a bit of manual intervention to clean up. What is at play here: The Archive itself doesn't know (enough) about the convention to use IDs instead of filenames. So it behaves agnostically and does the most inclusive thing to get to a note: use the whole title/filename.

There are things in the work that will synergistically make this all configurable and better. It's just not done yet.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Thank you, both. That's really helpful. I'll proceed 'manually' in the meantime!