Zettelkasten Forum

Selecting the archive directory on startup?

Is there a way to specify the archive directory on startup?

The reason being that I want to set up a second directory for a work project that I will eventually pass off to someone else so I need to keep it separate from my personal stuff.

I did a quick scan through the forum and couldn't see an answer. Thanks.

Comments

• @Brad_T said:
    Is there a way to specify the archive directory on startup?

The reason being that I want to set up a second directory for a work project that I will eventually pass off to someone else so I need to keep it separate from my personal stuff.

I did a quick scan through the forum and couldn't see an answer. Thanks.

There is an option, using the dropdown menu under "The Archive", to "Switch Archives...". Pretty ease to do.

• Thanks for the answer.

What I had hoped to find out was, if there was a way to use some command line magic, or add a second icon on my desktop to open up the different directory (instead using the dropdown menu to switch).

• edited August 2023

I do have a secret debug switch for this for testing as a launch argument.

You can pass the archiveURL on the command line like so:

$ /Applications/The\ Archive.app/Contents/MacOS/The\ Archive -archiveURL "file:///Users/YOURUSER/path/to/notes/"

1. The path must end with a /
    2. The URL must be a file:// URL
    3. You must open the /Contents/MacOS/The\ Archive binary inside the .app bundle -- you can't just open The\ Archive.app and pass this

Edit: I must've slept on this change, but I just discovered that you can also use this to pass another directory:

$ open -n /Applications/The\ Archive.app --args -archiveURL "file:///Users/YOURUSER/path/to/notes/"

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Perfect. Exactly what I was after. Thank you.

• I did a first pass at using Automator to run AppleScript to launch with specific directories.

Code is attached for reference if anyone needs a script in the future.

`
    on run {input, parameters}

set Ze to "\"/Applications/The Archive.app\""

set DB to "\"file:///Users/YOURUSER/Documents/Zettelkasten/MYNOTES1/\""

set myC to "open -n " & Ze & " --args -archiveURL " & DB

tell application "Terminal"
        activate
        do script myC
    end tell

return input

end run
    `

Then you can copy the script icon to the desktop to have quick access.

Brad

• @Brad_T if you use a Shell Script task in Automator, it might be even quicker (I never know if loading the AppleScript environment takes long, or if it's the Automator action itself)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• It would be nice to have an option in TAAP (The Archive) itself to swich to former folder, so you could quickly switch. Even better: multi folder support with 2 folders open at the same time.