Zettelkasten Forum

Your Office Application preferred set of tools

Considering you are not in any too deep market niche, If you also collaborate with other researchers or coworkers,

1) Which tool is your main Office application for generating long-form text (including Table of Contents, Citation, advanced references, etc...)?
2) If you use M365, are you happy with that environment and how it evolves (or not) over time?
3) What is your operational workflow for pulling the information inside your slip box to your Office Application?

David Delgado Vendrell
www.daviddelgado.cat

Comments

• These days I start from my ZK in Markdown and export in Word, LaTeX, or PDFLaTeX. If I have to prepare documentation for work, I'll go from Markdown to Word format and tweak what I need if I have to use Microsloth Orifice.

GitHub. Erdős #2. CC BY-SA 4.0. Problems worthy of attack / prove their worth by hitting back. -- Piet Hein.

• What is precisely the reason that makes MS Word (or *.docx) so ubiquitous in most workflows? Should we consider it an "_standard de facto_"?

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• Most users are taught office work on MS products. There's no need in switching at the cost of relearning with new tools. MS products are even sponsored to schools for this reason.

At work we are using LibreOffice and open formats like .odt, .ods.

PDF is much more of a standard than Docx.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

• Another topic that concerns a "de facto standard" is further editability. I come from an industry (construction) that deals with interoperability issues, but most also come from a misunderstanding: recipients want to keep editing the information container they receive. And this is not always expected, especially from an authorship perspective.

I.m.o., the lack of process-oriented culture in some domains (siloed ones) enables the trend of asking for editable formats (i.e. *.docx) instead of just the *.pdf or another one that lacks the editability purpose (even though we know that technically we can edit it). Concepts such as Authorship, responsibility roles, etc... are essential to consider whenever we require and/or deliver information.

I didn't want to open the gate of open standards vs proprietary formats since the market is the market.

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• @daviddelven said:
    3) What is your operational workflow for pulling the information inside your slip box to your Office Application?

I use Scrivener as my main writing tool. Notes from my ZK are imported directly as text snippets. Those ideas get massaged, re-arranged and combined with connecting text, and then eventually exported either as a PDF or as a Word doc for sharing with others.

• edited July 2023

@GeoEng51 Whether we cook using snippets or merging through other bridges, some users seem to rely on Layouting features outside the writing tool, keeping the writing focus on only one tool. (MS Word, Adobe InDesign, etc...)

David Delgado Vendrell
    www.daviddelgado.cat

• One requirement for tools is the onboarding process. More employee are familiar with MS products compared to alternatives. Training new tools increases costs.

The other is compatibility. Formats become deprecated over time and you find yourself searching for all windows95 doc files and upgrade them.

Documents have an editing history. You can see the author for every single edit.

Collaboration must be interactive to ensure everyone is working on the same source, otherwise uncoordinated changes might occur.

Without interactive interface collaborative editing must not occur.

I also experienced the demand for editable documents where editing must not occur. I've observed human behaviour that should not happen. People feel the temptation to edit a document. It is only a matter of time for an unauthorized change to occur. They even try to bypass supervision in an attempt to keep their change unnoticed.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915