Zettelkasten Forum

Option to view Filesystem Info

Hello,

I would love an option either in a right click menu or a keyboard shortcut to view the "Get Info" (Mac) or Properties window. I would like to occasionally look up the creation date for my files. I don't need this information often but I'd occasionally like to find the info. Going forward I'm adding this info in the text of my notes but I've imported years worth of notes from nvalt which I'd have to manually update with the creation date.

Thanks!

Comments

• @TrekFan
    I can help. When a new note is created in The Archive, it gets a UID incorporating the creation date and time. The UID and Note Title should be concatenated together, and this becomes the file name. Your imported notes must not follow this convention. I use the UIDs as the links between notes. What does nvalt use?

Here is a screenshot of my "inbox," you can see the UID/ctime are in the note list. The default behavior is to put the UID in front of the Title, but I think this is crazy, given the small screen real estate of my 13" Mac.

I wrote a script that put the UID/ctime and Title on the first line of every file in a directory. You're asking for something different but easily doable. I wrote the original version in Python then @verivox wanted a shell script, so I rewrote it in zsh. This version processed 1400 files in about a minute. How many files do you have to import?

Here is the github repository. It contains both the Python and zsh script—only attempt using these on a backup.

It's possible to modify this to change the file names, and they'd report the creation time in the Note List.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• This is amazing! Thanks for doing this!

• I would love an option either in a right click menu or a keyboard shortcut to view the "Get Info" (Mac) or Properties window.

You can get there somewhat quickly via:

1. R in The Archive to reveal the current note in Finder
    2. I in Finder to Get Info

You could automate this with Keyboard Maestro, Shortcuts, or Automator. Doing this a couple of times will make you pretty fast already, though :)

Finder is smart enough to re-use the window of your note archive, so you don't spawn Finder windows every time you hit R

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/