Ideas I'm Grappling With March 9, 2023
It's Thursday, and here we go again. I'm telling you what I'm working on to inspire you to tell me what you worked on.
This week I practiced my onboarding of an idea spark into my ZK. For 6 of the ten new notes this week, I used the following workflow to get ideas for the stages they are at. Practice exposed a few gaps in my workflow, and I was able to correct them and practice more. The formatting and some of the housekeeping became automated and easy to complete making time for the fun of considering the idea's connection.
This is not the only workflow I use, but the one I used several times this week. Books, PDFs, lectures, and YouTube videos are treated differently. Web articles sparked all six of these notes I'm describing.
- Captured the article in Bear
- I Used Bear's highlighting feature to highlight anything that sparkled as I read.
- Added quick notes and highlighted them.
- Used a Keyboard Maestro script to extract highlights, creating from a template a note
- Contained all the highlights formatted as quotes
- Correct YAML front matter with prompts and with the #inbox tag
- Titled the same as the original article/source
- Contains a link to the original article/source
- Note is incrementally upgraded with prompts being fulfilled and quotes/highlights all being processes into my thoughts and interrelations
- I reevaluate the title once all the quotes have been processed.
- I'll create a one-sentence summary.
- I hang the note on a structure note.
- Now for the fun part. Deep links are searched for and discovered.
This sounds like a lot of work, but it is really a lot of fun. After reading and marking up the article, I'll devote 5 minutes to getting the note into shape and then let it sit. This resting process is essential. I'll attack the digestion of the quotes a little at a time, switching from note to note as the mood strikes.
Once all this is done, I'll let the note rest in the #inbox for a day or two to think and consider before removing the #inbox tag.
Three of the six notes where I used this workflow are still in the #inbox.
My seven day zettel production
Edit @ctietze: Fixed list Markdown formatting
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!