Zettelkasten Forum

How about mixing up private and professional diary

Hi, what about your opinion about mixing up private and professional zettel?

Aims: accessing knowledge(general, non confidencial) that i created during the job also at home, also vice versa: benefitting in the job about things I did at home, but also asuring that the most private thoughts are not on machines in company?

Regards, sbst

Comments

• Welcome to the forums.

I no longer am under the thumb of mind-numbing control freaks from corporate IT, so I have more flexibility. Most corporate IT departments wouldn't allow a private application installed on a company asset, such as a zettelkasting app. The IT culture would have deterred from the gate.

I imagine trying to run a ZK to integrate professional knowledge and wanting access in my old corporate setting would activate the "Squash Innovation & Drive Users Crazy With Controls Committee." Maybe someone has come up with a way for this to work.

You could use a personal laptop connected to a cellular hotspot, depending on your setting. Network sharing is what you want to avoid. Have you considered using your phone or a tablet?

Given that all this is not applicable in your situation. I'd go with two separate ZK. I'd probably use different software. Will the job pay for software? There are probably ways to interconnect the two so that the job's IT can't snoop if that is your worry.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @sbts said:
    Hi, what about your opinion about mixing up private and professional zettel?

Aims: accessing knowledge(general, non confidencial) that i created during the job also at home, also vice versa: benefitting in the job about things I did at home, but also asuring that the most private thoughts are not on machines in company?

Regards, sbst

Here's what I do - it may or may not work for you. I have one laptop computer, which contains both my personal information and my work information, but the two are separated in different high level directories, so I don't get them confused. All "primary" work files are maintained on a file server run by the company for which I work; I just download the stuff I need to work on to the work portion of my computer drive and then upload any edited or new work files back to the company file server. My company allows this behaviour; not all do. If they don't, a work around is to have one personal computer and one work computer, with an external hard drive for shared data for both computers.

I maintain one ZK with all my personal stuff and several other project ZKs for different clients and, well, projects. It's easy to switch from one to another using The Archive and it's clear which one I'm in from the content and from the ZK folder name.

Some of the project ZKs are collaborative affairs, with anywhere from 5 to 10 people working on the project zettels at a time. It is a really simple matter to copy new zettels from someone else into one of my project files (normal file copy and paste) - the "new" zettels show up in the ZK and all I have to do is link the new zettels to the old ones. I say that a bit tongue in cheek, as linking zettels can be a lot of work.

So - you can use the same process if you want to transfer zettels from one a project ZK to your personal ZK.

Also, in our group, some people (on Macs) use The Archive and some people (on Windows machines) use Zettlr. We've figured out a file name protocol that allows us to open the project ZK in either software and have it function as expected (The Archive and Zettlr use slightly different protocols for linking one zettel to another).

Hope this gives you some useful ideas.

• Thank you for your opinions. My approach so far was maintaining 2 git repositories: Private and company. I did not take my private one into the office.

Maybe I will add a 3rd one: private, company and general. So I can leave private at home and company in office.

I will live with the fact that some links might point to non existant notes.