Zettelkasten Forum

It's all about the references and citations at the moment

I keep finding myself in the situation of wanting to put a citation to a statement but I can't never remember where I read this piece of information. In some places, this is unacceptable so I have to improve. I'm an mainly interested in improving links to help me find a reference statements I want to make.

I was initially in awe of the concept of ZK but now I'm not so sure. I tend to think in pictures but this is all about text. I find that in order to link then you need to know the destination of whatever you want to link to. Yet, if I know the reference then I already have the link in my mind.

Comments

• edited June 2021

I should also add that when I'm writing something down I'm typically losing my memory for something because I know it will be accessible later.

I want to use it for ALL notes:

Philosophy,
    pedagogy,
    tech notes

• @KettleBlasten said:
    I keep finding myself in the situation of wanting to put a citation to a statement but I can't never remember where I read this piece of information. In some places, this is unacceptable so I have to improve. I'm an mainly interested in improving links to help me find a reference statements I want to make.

I was initially in awe of the concept of ZK but now I'm not so sure. I tend to think in pictures but this is all about text. I find that in order to link then you need to know the destination of whatever you want to link to. Yet, if I know the reference then I already have the link in my mind.

In Zotero, you can drag and drop the citation from Zotero on to the Zettel.

• @KettleBlasten said:

Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain about remembering where a citation originates from.
    Two things that have helped me.

1. I always format my zettel such that what "they say" is clearly differentiated from what "I say."
    2. I make structure notes for the books and articles I read. The zettel that originate on this structure note all have the same citation. This makes the process quicker.
    3. I learned a few of the details about MLA v.8 formating, and the mystery was lifted. It turns out that it's not as scary as I thought. Actually easy and fast.

Sometimes a citation is a formal MLA v.8 citation, sometimes just a quick copy/paste of a doi web address or mention of the author. Maybe later, if the quote is referenced, you'll look it up by the link you made for your future self. But if I suspect the reference is unlikly to be used outside my zettelkasten then I can be more casual. Still citing where appropriate.

I don't know what you mean? Thinking in pictures won't help improve your citation skills. You have to develop a more disciplined practice, unlike me, who occasionally makes half-hearted attempts at discipline.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• Use that picture mind of yours to make a picture of the author or book somehow and link it visually to a few notes you want to remember. It's a memory technique used to great success by many people for far less useful endeavors. I use it frequently to remember things I "want" to remember and in some cases need to remember.