Zettelkasten Forum

how to connect notes?

I am taking this opportunity to thank you @sfast and @ctietze for this excellent article about 3 layers of evidence.

i opted to default for a single note for all layers, then split it on-demand. Before the split i have a single ID, after that i have multiple. Now, when i create a new reference i want to prevent myself referring to a pattern instead of a synthesis.

How do i create a filter for that for things like auto completion? Auto completion shows a pop up as you type, allowing you to select a reference link instead of manually type out the entire link.

my first Zettel uid: 202008120915

Comments

• I noticed that it is in practice not easy to sort them into these layers. This is mostly because i do not religiously stick to the rules, for time saving reasons.

• Frequently, i have no interest in fact-checking some information i received. One mans synthesis is another mans pattern.
    • Sometimes the synthesis of others is the only thing i need, i don't want to formulate an interpretation and matching patterns. (this is basically a pattern, since there is no proof, but i am using it as synthesis anyways)
    • Sometimes, there is a benefit in making the evidence more explicit, sometimes there is not. By this i mean that i start with an implicit pattern which i then separate in an interpretation and more explicit pattern.

This means that in a Zettelkasten a pattern is not always a pattern, and an interpretation not always an interpretation. It depends on the context provided through all layers, and the resolution applied on it.

• @zk_1000 said:
    I am taking this opportunity to thank you @Sascha and @ctietze for this excellent article about 3 layers of evidence.

Agreed, this is a great article describing a practice worth developing.

i opted to default for a single note for all layers, then split it on-demand. Before the split i have a single ID, after that i have multiple. Now, when i create a new reference i want to prevent myself referring to a pattern instead of a synthesis.

I think I get your scenario. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. For example, you read a health and fitness book, processing all your ideas in a single note. As time allows, you process the note along these lines.
    1. Data description and patterns.
    2. Interpretation of descriptions and patterns.
    3. Synthesis of patterns, descriptions, and interpretation. 1

In the end, you have multiple notes. You'd like to have a way that queues you to use the link to the "synthesis note" rather than the other "layers."

I can think of a couple of ideas for this.
    1. Prepend the title of the synthesis note with a symbol like ⓢ or §.
    2. Use the tag #synthesis
    3. Treat the synthesis layer note like a type of structure note

How do i create a filter for that for things like auto completion? Auto completion shows a pop up as you type, allowing you to select a reference link instead of manually type out the entire link.

How do you insert a link into a note now?

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• My apology for the late reply.

@Will said:
    I think I get your scenario. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. For example, you read a health and fitness book, processing all your ideas in a single note. As time allows, you process the note along these lines.
    1. Data description and patterns.
    2. Interpretation of descriptions and patterns.
    3. Synthesis of patterns, descriptions, and interpretation. [^1]

In the end, you have multiple notes. You'd like to have a way that queues you to use the link to the "synthesis note" rather than the other "layers."

Yes, that's what i am doing. I am iterating through these steps. I started using this layout not long ago and am now seeing a few duplicated pattern in different files, i need to make these notes more atomic.

I thought about it and decided to simply place a link in a separate note, from the pattern to the interpretation. This is what i already did, but i'll be more careful in which direction i place a link. Using a tag like #synthesis introduces a new type of note, which feels like a step backward. I was tempted to use note signifier before. I find the idea very attractive, because i could use them to sort note titles by pattern, interpretation, synthesis.

• @zk_1000 said:
    I was tempted to use note signifier before. I find the idea very attractive, because i could use them to sort note titles by pattern, interpretation, synthesis.

Yes, but watch out for the trap I've fallen into. I think it is sweet to have an inkling of the content of a note from the note list. I found myself pre-pending a signifier to most notes so that so many of my notes have some pre-pended signifier. I had so many I even had a note that I kept an up-to-date legend of all the various note signifiers. It became such a chore and that I reverted to one or two-letter signifiers, which are easier to remember, and stopped using symbols.

Here is a list of a few note names, some with pre-pending some without. Just a list of what I've been working with recently. Almost half have signifiers.

C-ENGL473 March 30, 2021 202103301518
    Advantages and penalties for size 201812111423
    One Hundred Words For Rain 202104071525
    Self in matter 201904271115
    First Sentence Of A Zettel Should Be A Description 202008111637
    Blogging Process 202008120844
    Writing From An Outline 202005040730
    Process And Create New Ideas 202103111214
    G-The Archive 202006240540
    SMART goal setting 202104150737
    A-Take notes for your future self 202008111359
    B-Fundamentals: Ten Keys To Reality 202103210932
    A-Senolytics 201905151707
    A-Productivity Is About Managing Emotions 202103260838
    Word Combinations 202104130844
    T-April 25, 2021 202104250610
    OV-ENGL473 April 8, 2021 202104081603
    Road Kill Fragments 202104100810

Will Simpson
    My zettelkasten is for my ideas, not the ideas of others. I will try to remember this. I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon, I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• @Will i would love to understand how you are using prepended signifiers
    I was just looking into how folks were using the §

• I apply them according the type of source for the note.
    I use them as clues when creating links for new notes. I have enough notes that searches often return dozens of hits. Prepended signifiers helps when looking at a long list of notes to mentally sort which notes are more likely candidates. Signifiers give clues to link density and can give a sense of context before opening the note.

Maybe if you had a specific question I could help.

I have to say I'm rethinking some of this. I always evolving my workflow.

Here are some old threads on this topic.
    Note signifiers
    Titling naming convention trials
    Types of notes

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com

• Thx Will my journey here is evolving as i create a structure that works for me.
    Recently i thought id try put the words first in a note filename then the Zettle ID
    How To Take Notes 202105301135
    vs
    202105301135 How to Take Notes

I like the latter of yours
    SMART goal setting 202104150737
    A-Take notes for your future self 202008111359

I am not quite in flow with using ZK method, be so useful to get some one on ones on zoom to speed up the learning curve

• @CarlB, "to help speed up the learning curve" @Sascha offers one-on-one coaching. I'm not sure it is done with Zoom. But you could inquire with a DM.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com