Zettelkasten Forum


Feature Request: Highlight links to non-existent notes

Hello,

I usually write a note and link to as-yet-non-existent notes along the way. Then I go through each such link and create a separate note. This is how I organize one of connections type between my notes (I use tags too). However, after a while, I find that I have broken links (thanks to vizel).

Today I was curious, is it possible to highlight links to non-existent notes? If so, then this is my new feature request.

Thanks

Comments

  • I think this kind of housekeeping is best kept out of baked-in features of the app and instead be kept in the 'user space' -- i.e. as a housekeeping script that highlights these. Marked this idea for the upcoming scriptability feature.

    Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

  • edited April 2

    @ctietze said:
    I think this kind of housekeeping is best kept out of baked-in features of the app and instead be kept in the 'user space' -- i.e. as a housekeeping script that highlights these. Marked this idea for the upcoming scriptability feature.

    Thank you for quick reply. Not related to the topic: do you guys have a roadmap somewhere or something like that?

  • edited April 2

    Btw, I'm a developer and familiar with scripting languages like Lua and Python and would be happy to create a small coroutines to automate daily work. Sometimes it seems to me that I miss access to the Archive API, e.g. Editor API, Status Bar API, Search API, and so on. This is a bit related to scripting feature that could open the door for scripts to the application's API. This can be treated as a extensions or plugins subsystem.

  • Welcome to the forum.

    The feature roadmap is spelled out at https://zettelkasten.de/the-archive/roadmap/.

    Will Simpson
    I'm a zettelnant.
    Research areas: Attention Horizon, Productive Procrastination, Dzogchen, Non-fiction Creative Writing
    kestrelcreek.com

  • @Will said:
    Welcome to the forum.

    The feature roadmap is spelled out at https://zettelkasten.de/the-archive/roadmap/.

    Thank you!

  • @serghei said:

    Today I was curious, is it possible to highlight links to non-existent notes? If so, then this is my new feature request.

    Hi - welcome to the forum! You may not want to use this approach, but whenever I want to have a new zettel but am not in a position to put anything into it yet, I just create one with a title and a basic template (using one of @Will 's Keyboard Maestro macros). That way, if I create a link to it, there is actually an existing (if empty) zettel. So I don't normally end up with non-existent notes.

    Here's a link to Will's macro:

    https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/comment/6811/#Comment_6811

  • @GeoEng51 said:

    @serghei said:

    Today I was curious, is it possible to highlight links to non-existent notes? If so, then this is my new feature request.

    Hi - welcome to the forum! You may not want to use this approach, but whenever I want to have a new zettel but am not in a position to put anything into it yet, I just create one with a title and a basic template (using one of @Will 's Keyboard Maestro macros). That way, if I create a link to it, there is actually an existing (if empty) zettel. So I don't normally end up with non-existent notes.

    Here's a link to Will's macro:

    https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/comment/6811/#Comment_6811

    Looks promising. Thank you very much!

Sign In or Register to comment.