Zettelkasten Forum

Manually generated id vs auto number ?

I have just started with zettlekasten method and facing one issue with giving ids. As of now I am giving ids manually to keep related concept/ideas together.
Like tow zettles have id as

Now here I can add related concept to 0001 as 0001a, 0001b and so on

But if I want to add a new concept which looks like a parent concept where the current 0002 is actually an amendment then the struggle comes. What should I do there because there is no place for id between 0001 and 0002. Creating 00011 would look like I am just extending the idea 0001.

Is this the way I should go or just generate unique number to each zettle and always link the zettles ?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• @smachhewar said:
    Is this the way I should go or just generate unique number to each zettle and always link the zettles ?

Any suggestions?

It depends on how you want to organize things in your ZK - there are many ways and different people adopt different approaches to suit their workflow. I let The Archive generate its normal UID, link zettels to get the organic network connections, and then use structure notes and an index to create a high-level hierarchy.

Other people will share their thoughts here as well - you can then see the wide variation in approaches.

Don't feel married to one approach. Try something; if it doesn't seem to work or doesn't scale well, you can always change. Optimizing your ZK is an ongoing process :wink:

• Thank you for reply. This helps.