Summary of Thoughts on Metadata
I've spent many hours scouring through this forum picking up tips and tricks from a number of great contributors. I wanted to share my own thoughts on how to structure the headers of Zettels:
After much thought, testing and experimenting, here are the conclusions I came to for myself:
- Metadata are best kept within a YAML block at the top of the Zettel. This allows the data to be cleanly stripped when exporting from Pandoc, Typora, Marked, or other Markdown presentation tools.
- For simplicity, the metadata should contain: uid (within square brackets so that it's easy to read and clickable to instantly bring up a search for that same ID); date of creation (yyyy-MM-dd); and tags.
- Date should come after the uid on the same row (to save space)
- The "uid" key should be followed by two whitespaces (to align the value with the "tags" value)
- The header tag should follow the metadata block with one line separating the two
--- uid: [] 2021-03-04 tags: #tag1 #tag2 --- # My Header
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!