Zettelkasten Forum

Dreaming of transclusion

I've started a note 202102071358 G-Dreaming Of Transclusion.

It is too rough and embarrassing, for even me, to post here, but I want to talk about it a little.

Transclusion is an idea morphed from Ted Nelson's original ideas related to his Project Xanadu, an early information format competitor to HTML and the internet. He coined the term and saw this ensuring "informational relativism" by linking context. His ideas were not simple links as Tim Berners-Lee, and others have implemented them. His idea was like GIT, a version control system for the entire web. He envisioned a way to look back at the context of a link and see the context in which it was developed. This would be the original meaning of transclusion was.

Now that the internet is the way it is and links are just links, Berners-Lee's linking ideas won, transclusion is used to preview a link before selecting it. It is programing/javascript black magic and not relative to links context. In Nelson's scheme, what we now call transclusion is really just "transquotation" with zero histories or context.

Transclusion, as currently thought, has the potential to speed the review process. I hope you are systematically reviewing your notes? I've been exploring "previewing" links using The Archive and Keyboard Maestro with some success.

This post and the exercise of writing it has sharpened my thinking.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com