Zettelkasten Forum

The latest, state of the art, incremental reading tool!

Don't laugh too loudly, but the bookmark is making a huge comeback for tracking position while reading books. Particularly books from that wealth of knowledge called your local public library. Where many of the best of these books are found. These books often are unattainable on an iPad or any new-fangled mobile app.

This particular bookmark has been upgraded to "BookMark V2.7" with the addition of the seven 3M Post-it page tabs. This new feature facilitates incremental reading because there are only seven tabs and once they are used up, you have to stop and create notes from the seven marked references in the book in order to reclaim the page tabs for the next round of incremental reading.

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Haha! The wonders of science. I use postcards to mark my place and stack of A4 paper for notes :smile:

• I'm not sure I can deal with this level of technological sophistication... Good reminder that not everything needs to have a bell and three whistles.

• edited February 2021

@henrikenggaard said:
    Haha! The wonders of science. I use postcards to mark my place and stack of A4 paper for notes :smile:

PM me with your address and I'll send you a postcard from Northern Idaho to add to your collection.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• I too am fond of the bookmark. A related trick I use is to take fleeting notes on an index card, which can be a bookmark as needed (I have children, so I sometimes have small interruptions to reading that don't affect my working memory for a text). When the card is full, I know I'm at roughly the length of a good Zettel or two. (I also use tags on my cards to help keep my notes semantically organized).

• @Sociopoetic said:
    I, too, am fond of the bookmark. A related trick I use is to take fleeting notes on an index card, which can be a bookmark as needed (I have children, so I sometimes have small interruptions to reading that doesn't affect my working memory for a text). When the card is full, I know I'm at roughly the length of a good Zettel or two. (I also use tags on my cards to help keep my notes semantically organized).

I find the task switching from reading breaks roughly when I switch to the flow I want making notes. Take a tab off my bookmark and setting it in the margin has become reflexive. I find stopping at every idea to write a note breaks my reading flow. I'm old. Having kids has probably trained you to handle task switching better than I can.

Even with this, I sometimes get up in the middle of a reading, so struck by inspiration, march in the office, and spend hours creating/integrating notes.

Will Simpson
    kestrelcreek.com