Zettelkasten Forum

[SOLVED] [REQUEST] Additional menu items

edited April 2019 in Resolved Issues

I'm pretty new to Zettelkasten but I've been obsessively reading about it and have started transferring my current note archive to my new ZK. Anyway, I finally feel I know just enough to make comments/feature requests… so here goes!

I'm picky about my keyboard shortcuts and I also use Alfred app extensively so I would love to see a couple things added:

1. Add the "Copy Link" contextual menu item to the menu bar so its keyboard shortcut can be targeted in prefs → keyboard → shortcuts or make it editable as a contextual menu item like "Copy Title" currently is.
  2. Add an "Open…" menu item so new documents can be opened directly in The Archive. I use Alfred to do this with a number of other apps, but The Archive is the first one I've come across that throws an error ("The Archive cannot open files in the “MultiMarkdown Text Document” format."). I assume this is due to the lack of an Open… dialogue.

Other than that I'm loving the app and looking forward to its development!

Post edited by ctietze on

Comments

• I was considering to change the "Open" functionality to an import, i.e. open the note as a copy in the managed folder. That could be a surprise, though, and maybe we'd be better off with a dedicated "Import" instead. We'll have to experiment on that, but thanks for bringing it up again!

The "Copy Link" suggestion makes sense, will fix in the next Cutting Edge update.

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• Yeah I'm with you on an Open menu item functioning as an import being confusing. However, you could have a normal "Open" function as well as an "Open and Import" function since they serve different purposes. Having the two options would make it unambiguous.

Another thing I would love to see is multiple window functionality for the same reason I posted the feature request to keep the current window active when searching. For my workflow I really want my active document to be stable until I actually click on another document… but I need to be able to freely search my ZK.

• The "Copy Link" menu item is implemented, and I am tracking the import functionality elsewhere, so I'm closing this one. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

This discussion has been closed.