Zettelkasten Forum

PopClip Extension to Open Zettel in The Archive

edited August 2020 in The Archive

Dear friends,

This is a PopClip Extension to select a Zettel in The Archive from any application.

You can select text containing a sequence of digits, and the option will be available on PopClip bar to open The Archive with the matching note(s) in your collection.

I hope you enjoy it!

Download OpenInTheArchive.popclipextz from GitHub

Post edited by brunoc on

Comments

• Cool! Thanks for sharing this extension @brunoc

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/

• @brunoc Fantastic - thank you!

• @brunoc Oops - I spoke too soon. I did download and install the Popclip item, but I can't seem to get it to "show" when I highlight some text. It is enabled but not appearing on the Popclip "menu". Any suggestions?

• @GeoEng51 said:
    @brunoc Oops - I spoke too soon. I did download and install the Popclip item, but I can't seem to get it to "show" when I highlight some text. It is enabled but not appearing on the Popclip "menu". Any suggestions?

Hi @GeoEng51 . By clicking on the PopClip icon in the menu bar, you'll find a tab where you can configure the extensions in their order of appearance. There's no other configuration for this particular extension.

Are you trying to select any text other than a sequence of digits (3 or more)?

• edited August 2020

@brunoc - OK, I get how it is supposed to work. I had configured Popclip to have the extension near the beginning of the list. I missed that I should only select digits and not any characters.

So where do you use this? When you are trying to access a note from within TA, and the note UID is recorded elsewhere?

• edited August 2020

@GeoEng51 I employ it in apps other than The Archive, where using a URL scheme is not possible or undesirable. An example is writing a text in Ulysses (see the animated picture above). It is a way to keep relevant notes at hand. This is something I want to try now, since Ulysses recently received interface tweaks providing for a better organization of inline comments (they now appear summarized in the sidebar).

Another place where I find it useful to have wiki links is in Curio, where I like to do visual planning: for example, I can do course planing using tables and stacks and reference the notes with wiki links. If eventually I copy the table as Markdown and paste it in a note in TA, the links will be preserved. It is by the way very pleasant and inspiring to do this back and forth work with Curio and The Archive.

• edited August 2020

@GeoEng51 I employ it in apps other than The Archive, where using a URL scheme is not possible or undesirable. An example is writing a text in Ulysses (see the animated picture above). It is a way to keep relevant notes at hand. This is something I want to try now since Ulysses recently received interface tweaks providing for a better organization of inline comments (they now appear summarized in the sidebar).

Another place where I find it useful to have wiki links is in Curio, where I like to do visual planning: for example, I can do course planing using tables and stacks and reference the notes with wiki links. If eventually I copy the table as Markdown and paste it in a note in TA, the links will be preserved. It is by the way very pleasant and inspiring to do this back and forth work with Curio and The Archive.

• @brunoc I'm not familiar with Curio; will check it out.