Zettelkasten Forum

[FEATURE REQUEST] Auto-correcting numbers in numbered lists

Hi!

Have you considered making the TA auto-correct the numbering in numbered lists when deleting list items or inserting new ones? At the moment when I have the list

1. Test
2. Test
3. Test
4. Test

And delete the second item, I get this:

1. Test
3. Test
4. Test

Instead I want this automatically:

1. Test
2. Test
3. Test

Same when I add an item in the middle of the list: At the moment I would have to correct the numbers on all of the following list items.

Comments

• Actually, I've found The Archive handles this better than most apps. All you have to do is highlight the list and hit Control+CMD+T three times. That keystroke is called "Switch List Type" and it toggles through three formatting variations: bullet, numbered, none, bullet, numbered, etcetera...

So since you're starting with a numbered list, just highlight the list, hit the keystroke three times, and your numbered list will be re-numbered correctly. Voila.

• edited April 2019

Hi @nickmilo22 and thanks for your post.
    I didn't know that keystroke (it's just CMD+T by the way), that's interesting. After trying it I must say however that I still highly prefer my feature request.

First of all, while it's not that time-consuming to highlight the list and hit CMD+T three times, it's still a lot more work than if TA just auto-corrected the numbering by itself.

Second, your method doesn't handle lists with indented list items well. If I want to correct the following list with it (two 5's at the end)

1. Test
    2. Test
        - Inline
        - Inline
    3. Test
        1. Inline Numbered
        2. Inline Numbered
    4. Numbered
    5. And again 
    5. And again

it creates

1. Test
    2. Test
        - Inline
        - Inline
    5. Test
        1. Inline Numbered
        2. Inline Numbered
    8. Numbered
    9. And again 
    10. And again

This is obviously not what I want.

I'm surprised that you think TA handles this better than most other apps. Most apps I've worked with handle it better. Apple's "Notes" app is a good example.

• Hi.
    Good suggestion -- I agree with Vinho. The list re-numbering that I like best is placing any numeric/alphabetic followed by a period or paren (or other). The program then re-numbers the list keeping the numbers as numeric, alpha as alpha, etc. -- some even do Roman Numerals ... cheers, drl

• edited June 2019

@ctietze: It's unusual that you haven't commented yet ;) Any thoughts?

• This is tied to the Markdown highlighter, and I'll get to tidying up lists eventually :)

Author at Zettelkasten.de • https://christiantietze.de/