Zettelkasten Forum

Hero worship

Oliver Sacks is a note-taking hero of mine. In this picture, I can imagine that an idea presented itself and no hesitation to capture it. I’ve read that his notes are chaotic and lyrical. Surely he didn’t use a zettelkasten but somehow brought his ideas into reality authoring many books and articles.

I aspire to be like the Oliver Sacks in the picture. Just stop midstream to capture a note with no self-consciousness.

Who are your heroes? Niklas Luhmann, of course. Christian and Sascha, goes without saying. Who are your heroes?

Image by Lowell Handler from On the Move

Will Simpson
I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
kestrelcreek.com

Comments

• Nice picture will! To be honest, at the moment my heros still are the people who keep toiling away at their notes during every single class and share them among everybody before tests as nicely made summaries :)

• Yes, those people who share have a special place in my heart. Rather it is before a test, class notes, or as an article or book. What really strikes me about this picture is Oliver's ambivalence to his surrounding and his seeming who gives a shit what others might think, "I'm taking a note". There are no holding back ideas, they come when they want: capture or be lost. I have lost so many because I wasn't prepared or more often because of self-consciousness foolishness.

Will Simpson
    I must keep doing my best even though I'm a failure. My peak cognition is behind me. One day soon I will read my last book, write my last note, eat my last meal, and kiss my sweetie for the last time.
    kestrelcreek.com

• I absolutely love how his possessions look as if they were dropped, as if he were seized with the idea he's recording, and he ceased to be conscious of his bag, umbrella, and what looks to be mittens.